A Living Roof for Your Hive?

Just saw this new product from Bee Thinking:

Anyone going to try it out? I am concerned about how water-tight it might be, how much watering it needs and how heavy it would be when full of plants and soil. Very interesting idea though, I have to admit I am very intrigued! :blush:

1 Like

$139 for a box with some sedum in it?
Daft!

2 Likes

I get your point, but think of Picassoā€¦ Canvas cost $10, paint cost $10, knowing how cost $5 millionā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

Good way to get rid of some money. Better to have a water tight and insulated roof than a flower box you have to maintain.

Cheers
Rob.

Dawn,

We must have all seen it the same day. Hmm. I think Iā€™ll have to PASS on this great new idea ! Would be unique but down right heavy.

Ta ta but no Thankz ! Gerald

Thatā€™s funny- just today I decided I would make a living roof for one of my hives- then this pops up. I was thinking to have an absolute minimum of substrate/soil to try and create a bonsai affect for whatever miniature hardy plants I decide to put on. You have to admit it will be pretty cool when a bee can fly out- up onto the roof- and collect some nectar from a little flower.

1 Like

You could plant a Linden tree on topā€¦or a moor of heather :wink:

a little alpine meadow, with wild flowers and a bonsai cherry tree! I HAVE to do it now. That way the bees could sit on the cherry branches of an afternoon and sip cherry blossom nectar, taking in the sunset.

Lucky the roof on my new hive has twice the real estate for landscaping as a standard langstrothā€¦ I call it 'the longstroth.

1 Like

Yayā€¦A person could live there :wink:

1 Like

From reading other posts in the forum about water sourcesā€¦ If Bees want to fly 20 - 50 feet from the hive out of the ā€œcleansing zoneā€ before going thinking to forage, would this even work? Or are you just providing a nice place for Triumph, the insult comic bee to poop on?

1 Like

Have you posted any pics of your new hive? Is this the one you posted images of plans/drawings for?

@kirsten Itā€™s still virtual at this stage- I have been tweaking and retweaking the design - itā€™s quite the Hive! - I think itā€™s done- I have my final cut list- tomorrow I am I off to the timber yards- and next week- fingers crossed- all the parts will be cut.

hereā€™s a sneak peak:

1 Like

and another- perfect for a rooftop garden!

1 Like

I think it would be a great insulator, butā€¦ if it starts to leak water, it will get inside the hive and promote mold growth. Also with this I doubt any condensation or water could evaporate through the top, leaving humidity in the hive, back to mold. In Virginia, ants love to live in planters, and they would already be drawn to the smell of honey. During the winter, not much grows, so I would assume you would replace it with the previous roof you had? I would like to see if anyone else has this and what their responses are. I think some lavender and other kinds of small plants would be good up there. Also the weight would hold it down in winds.

I saw it also and filed it under silly gimmick. Canā€™t see what possible advantage it offers the bees or the beeks.

And the aesthetics of my hive roof never bothered me.

Beethinking has two sides; the really practical high quality products and the really charming marketable stuff. This seemed like a weird hybrid!

1 Like

Itā€™s looking good. Iā€™m looking forward tophotos of your building process & of course final result with bees! :slight_smile:
What sort of plants are you thinking for the roof?

• any roof landscaping will be down the track. Have to build it first! I was thinking possible mossy type things crossed with something really hardy

Sure, I was just wonderingā€¦:slight_smile: It might be good to try some groundcovers, something like Dichondra repensā€¦mosses would look lovely but they need & retain moisture, not good for hive. Canā€™t remember if youā€™re in SA or WA? both get pretty warm.

1 Like

I am in SA. Yes we often get a week or two above 40C every day- and all indications are more of that to comeā€¦ I was thinking- in the heat of summer- you could just let everything die on the roof- and leave the stubble. It would still offer extra insulation. The same way moss or lichen dry up in hot months- only to come back when the weather permits. Or I could set up a drip irrigation pretty easily- and I guess that may have a very nice cooling affectā€¦ The way my roof is sloped and overhangs- with a properly prepared surface- moisture wonā€™t be an issue - the entire top would be completely sealed from whatā€™s below. I would only have a soil/substrate a few cmā€™s thick to avoid excess weight was well. Given that itā€™s only one meter square- it wonā€™t require much work to trim/manage my micro plants.

2 Likes

Depending on species you choose to grow, you could use a growing medium which is much lighter than soils too. I think its an interesting idea.