The Beekeeper Selection® course is offered by Macarthur community College as an affordable, quality educational work shop with theory and practical components in preparation to becoming a Backyard Beekeeper.
Do you like honey? Are you growing your own fruit and veggies at home?
This Backyard Beekeeping one day course will show you the benefits of keeping bees in your own backyard. This important step towards sustainable food production allows you to learn about the lifecycles of the bee, the equipment required, working with bees, bee products and extracting honey. This course includes a visit to the hive and handling bees.
Theory: Campbelltown NSW 2560 Australia
Practical : Varroville NSW 2566 weather permitting
8:45am Start to 4:00pm finish
Morning tea provide
1 Hour lunch break, Lunch not included
Backyard Beekeeping WC4836-10X
Bring long sleeved clothing
For bookings contact:
Macarthur Community College
02 9826 6455
Book now (link)
Note: recent courses have been to full capacity. Book early to avoid disappointment.
This course will enable participant to:
• understand the regulations of keeping bees
• know the WHS rules of opening a hive
• decide on food handling hygiene
• understand issues of diseases that affect bees
• identify the types of bees found in a colony
• consider bee food and the area of flight
• identify the parts of a hive
• assist with opening a beehive and inspecting frames
• to identify the different cells in a hive
• choose between basic methods of honey extraction
• estimate the cost of setting up a hive