Can anyone identify this bee friendly herb? Type of salvia?

Michele,

Now I understand your rational ! Dawn has given you pretty good directions for vegetative propagation. I use to own a plant n propagation greenhouse. Next Spring for you once the herb starts new growth will be your chance for cutting taking. Since we do not know if the plant seed is sterile or not take some seed, put in the refrigerator for few month to get the seed the seasonal break, then your late winter or early Spring take a few seed (less the 12 maybe). Use a shallow bowl n fold a paper towel with these seed between. Dampen the towel a lot n keep damp for at least 72 hours to 4 or 5 days. Keep in a warm area like the kitchen or small greenhouse. The long n short of this is to see if the seed are sterile or not. If they sprout ā€¦ You should be able to grow from seed as well as softwood cutting.

As for edibity ! Take small amounts (leaves) n chew/taste n spit out. If not no off health effects ā€¦ Try a little more in a day or two. Repeat this process using a little more several time couple days apart. What this process is check is to see if the plant is safe n truely edible. This is a test I teach in survival classes to test plant. Any odds effects the plant should be avoid n left to the bees. If all is well try using more n more to season meat, fish, poultry.

Next Spring or this winter try take any local college or biological society for actual I.D. Somebody somewhere does kNOW for sure what your plant/herb is.

Good luck n happy research !
Gerald.

2 Likes

What are the chances of getting some cuttings of this beauty? It looks a little bit like a cross between a salvia and a camphor basil. Such a large family of plants, crosses happen when the good stuff is close enough together. The bees tend to cross pollinate what they love the most. Even if accidently. That is how awesome plants like this happen.

I got my African Blue Basil from Amazon in the US. It is very happy outside in southern California, and has grown very large over the last years. I have established many cuttings too, so now we have lots around our garden. You probably can get it from Amazon too, depending on local shipping regulations:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OV6OQ04/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/African-Basil-Ocimum-Canum-Potted/dp/B077T2Y4B4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541187842&sr=8-3&keywords=african+blue+basil

Hi Dawn, Iā€™m actually trying to get some cuttings from the Frankenstein basil this original deal was about. I actually have a TON of African Blue Basil and also another spectacular basil variety called Wild Magic. I thought African Blue Basil was awesome and then I came across Wild Magic and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY at how much more Iā€™ve gotten out of Wild Magic Basil.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if a local gardening club (perhaps Facebook could help) could give you what you need. We have beekeepers in Florida, but I am not sure how many of them may be keen gardeners with unusual plants. :blush:

Hey Dawn, what are the chances of getting some cuttings from that beautiful mystery plant?

No idea, mine are all African Blue Basil. :smile:

Hey Dawn,

Ever heard of Wild Magic Basil? Incredibly cold hardy! Stunning when they get their feet settled in the ground. Iā€™ve got a few that are 4 to 5 feet tall and wide, smell like fruity licorice, and have flowers that taste like little drops of honey. Wild Magic blows African Blue Basil right out of the water!

1 Like

What are the chances of getting some cuttings from this plant?

Dawn,

Iā€™m not that computer savvy, just trying to figure out how to get in touch with whoever generated this post with the original plant from the auction. Would love some cuttings.

1 Like

As the poster is in Australia, I would think the chance is zero. The USDA would never let them in. :blush:

If you click on the circle by the posterā€™s name, you can see their location, usually. Actually Jack stole his momā€™s account and never updated his location, did you @Semaphore? :wink:

I grow it every year because it is easy to grow from seed and unlike regular basil it can handle the heat. Grows all season. Seems to be pest resistant. It is Thai basil and yes the bees like it. I would like to grow a field of it.

actually my variant isnā€™t Thai Basil it is closer to Greek Basil- and it is an infertile version- it produces no seeds. Thatā€™s why it flowers all year round. This year I am going to try Tulsi- Indian holy Basil. I also now have Cinnamon Basil and Mint Basil :slight_smile:

@LoveThemBees Iā€™d be happy to give you as many cuttings as you want if you come to Australia to collect them :wink:

1 Like

I do have some friends who live in Australiaā€¦ Maybe we can work something out. The trouble would be getting them through customs and all that distance on their way to the states still alive. I have been shipped rooted plants and cuttings from all over the world before. Lots of interesting techniques different sellers use to contain roots, transport cuttings, and even tiny starter plants. Maybe we can work something out. I doubt cuttings would survive the trip. Might have to root some and put them in a test tube with the roots pushed into a moist sponge. There are ways. Getting some specimens here to the states alive would be awesome! I do a lot of experimenting when it comes to bee plants. So it could be interesting.

1 Like

I donā€™t know- it would be a fun experiment- but I have a feeling that it would prove way too difficult and expensive? Australia is pretty tough when it comes to bio-security- and weā€™d have to look into the US rules too. I have no idea what the laws are about sending live material through the mail. Surely you can get a very similar greek basil in the US already? One of the ones Dawn has looks very similar. I donā€™t know that there is anything really unique about the one that I have. I do know it does not produce seeds- so it is likely a hybrid. It can only be reproduced from cuttings. I have read that such plants flower constantly as the plant is kind of stuck at that stage of reproduction. I believe cuttings would survive in test tubesā€¦ itā€™s very hardy and almost 100% of cuttings take without much care.

1 Like

Surely there are similar varieties out there. As I mentioned in another post, bees usually end up cross pollenating what they love the most. This is usually how Frankenstein plants are made. Most of the time, they are happy accidents. Here in the states, we have a lot to choose from. Locating certain varieties can be difficult at times. Most of what I have has come through buying, selling, and trading with random green thumbs. The bees seem to be much more heavily attracted to a handful of varieties I have. (Wild Magic, African Blue, Camphor, Cinnamon, Magic Mountain, Dark Lady, and Wild Red) are among the very best that I have ever seen.

2 Likes

This is what I grow from seed. Perhaps the same plant is called different names.

Some are volunteers, at least I donā€™t remember planting them