Canadian Flow keepers

Hello from Cornwall Ontario , any beekeeper in eastern Ontario ?!? Seems like we have quite the numbers from B.C , would like to talk Bee’s with anyone !

2 Likes

Glad to hear @Sabine!

Glad to see another person in the area @Buzzing!

Too funny, I’m in South Wellington! I could probably throw an rock and hit you. I did order the flow section of the hive, but need to build the rest some time before it arrives, or before Spring comes around again anyway. I have never been out to Fredricks at all (though I have eaten a lot of their product!). Is there something special that happens on Saturdays?

Yes you most likely could :smile:
I ordered the full hive so I’m set to go.
Fredrichs does workshops every other Saturday from 10-12 and I hear they are very informative.
Look on their website for details and a phone number

That’s great to know! I’ll have to go check those out. I probably need to get my protective gear!
Thanks,Crystal

Thanks for the tips. I too have lots of questions and am a little nervous about getting it right. i watched some Youtube videos and started to think, “Oh what have i gotten myself into”. I see there is a breeder and honey farm in Oliver, and just bought some honey in Buy low that has an Osoyoos address, so I will be tracking them down to see if I can come and watch them some time. I will be getting the full flow, but not arriving till next year, so i have some time to figure out what I am doing.
i look forward to meeting some of you in the next while.

Hi Paisa! There are quite a bunch of beekeepers in Ottawa region, not sure how many will have Flow. But you will be able to find help and guidance for sure. Here is the link to the “local” associations: http://www.ontariobee.com/community/local-beekeepers-associations I’m in Central Ontario, near Rice Lake (North-East actually), in Hastings. If you ever have to travel this way and want to have a chat, let me know and we can find a place to meet!

Thank you ! I will check that site out !

1 Like

Hi everyone. Ben from Ottawa. Also a newbee!

1 Like

I’ve taken the course and I think it’s a must for anyone who wants to bee keep. It will dispel the myths and rumours and give you concrete information you can work on. Saturday is our practicum field day. I’m really looking forward to this.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I’m Scott, I’m in Calgary, AB. I’m a total newbie but I’m taking the government course on beekeeping. I’m planning on moving out to an acreage with some friends and creating a self-sustaining community. Honey is how we’re handling our need for sugar.

Cheers,
Scott

2 Likes

Cool idea @ClanYoung! My group of friends has been talking about something very similar.

Here is the Alberta link:

There are some great local resources for bee-ginner beekeepers. Check out

and the AB Gov’t runs a beekeeping course about four time a year.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department/deptdocs.nsf/all/prm13239/

I’m just beginning too. Looking forward to my flow hive. I’m looking to move up near water valley. Where are you guys located?

Excellent news that we are so close. We can share and probl solve together. Looking forward to continued exploration

1 Like

Gabriel,

Although, I’m just accross the boarder in the Buffalo, New York area, if there is anyone in Ontario from Toronto to Niagara Falls or Buffalo, I’d like to collaborate with. Hastings is a little to far but maybe a weekend trip to “go with the flow” someday.

Dave

1 Like

Hay ! Michael here . I am just south of Calgary AB , in Black Diamond.
I am a new Beekeeper and have built a top bar beehive. also have a flow hive on the way.
I look forward to meeting every one and sharing the experience:)

1 Like

Dave, unfortunately I can’t go to the States. But if you want to meet in Toronto, that would be fine. Like I said, I got 3 frames delivered early (they say in June) so if you want to see them, you’re more than welcome.

Hi - Harry here from South Shore of Nova Scotia. Reading about the flow hive sparked my interest in beekeeping for the first time. Quite apart from the (bonus) honey I hope to harvest, it just seems like a good thing to do for the declining bee population.

I’m expecting my full Flow Hive in December, so this year will be spent taking a beekeeping course, visiting a friend’s operation, and planting lots of bee-friendly flowers and shrubs around our little acreage.

Harry

1 Like