Growing Tomatoes in the Australian Desert With Salt Water and Solar Power

Being a student (years ago) taught me some of that. Of course, it helped that I had a grandmother who loved to cook from scratch, and had learned to make do with cheap foods during the war. I even learned to go to street markets at the very end of the day to bargain the prices down on leftover fruit and veg! :blush: Got some interesting veggies that way too. One guy persuaded me to buy his plantains for a few pennies - I only agreed once he explained how to cook them. Quite an education, and although it could be challenging making ends meet, I loved it! :wink:

2 Likes

I have grown up cooking from scratch, I come from a foody family. Nana was one of 12 children - they were all cooks and chefs - sort of why I became a chef, talked my younger sister out of it - (she did a week work experience with me when I worked at parliament house in Melbourne) Rachel Jeffery - She is now a well know, well respected Dietitian, and previous part time TV presenter, now has her own practice in Geelong. as well as a day job

1 Like

Hi Dee, you might be an old grump, but I think your a nice old grump:)

4 Likes

Aw Jeff :blush:

2 Likes

A lifetime ago, I kept pigs when I lived at Tamworth. They were fed on grower pellets made from grain and starch making byproducts. The starch manufacturer was an outfit called Fielders and they kept their own pigs as well. Fielders would irrigate their corn (maize) paddocks with the waste water. Sometimes the “Fielders Flats” would get an awful sour smell but the corn grew well.

My chooks get fed all the kitchen scraps and they love them! They get ad lib chook pellets as well but they prefer scraps. What they love most is escaping from the chook pen and scratching up the mulch under my lime trees.

3 Likes