Hive Stability in wind

Hi All

I’m Jeff from the UK.

Just received my basic hive yesterday and have constructed it and begun treating it. ( still awaiting the Flow Hive innards to arrive from Australia.)

My concern is that as the WRC hive seems very light and I wonder what I should do in case of winds as it seems like it would easily blow over in a heavy wind.

I am totally new to bee keeping and would appreciate any advise and experiance

You have several choices, but the simplest is to put your hive on a palette or a couple of breeze blocks, then feed a ratcheting strap through the heavy palette or blocks and fasten it over the top of the hive. Even simpler, but less secure is to put some bricks on the hive roof to weigh it down. Once the bees have had a chance to propolis the inside of the hive, it will be pretty well glued together in any case. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you dawn,

The strap method is what I was thinking so thank you for reassuring me.

There is an article here with a picture half way down that shows you the kind of concept. The photo shows a metal strap, but most beekeepers actually use the normal fabric straps - they are plenty strong enough:

Dawn

Haha Pretty ugly but I guess it gets the job done.

We had some bad winds recently which blew a fence down but probably nothing as strong as they are speaking of in the article.

As you said when the bees are in for a while should be ok

I haven’t decided where to locate them yet but will try and have them behind a wind break.

I have a project over the next week to paint 4 breeze blocks, and decorate them with stenciled bees and flowers. I will take a picture when it is done. :blush:

Jeff, mine (my hives) are empty like yours. I have a baffled 6’ slatted wood barrier fence on the windy ( South to West) side here in Western Washington near Seattle. The fence reslly does the trick for my empty hives. I have a full Wx station here n record all my Wx stats. We’ve had some gusty stuff to 40 n 50 mph at the rooftop instruments but the four empty hive bodies are still standing in 18" hive stands.

Like Dawn says, bands n latches help as well as heavy stones n bricks. And once the bees start gluing n filling even i will struggle to lift them I am sure ! :yum:

Glad your on your way in beekeeping.
Gerald

this is one of my empty hives.

1 Like

Hi Gerald

Thanks for that advice. Will you keep that hive in that location when the bees are in?

I have 100 ft garden and have been thinking of how I can place the hive in a sunny spot without being a problem for other family members when they are in the garden.

We had a wasps nest (yellow jackets) in the wall of the house last year and we left them be and the never bothered us so I don’t see why a hive should be any different.

Did you post a picture jape?

Michael Bush has a section with advice on this on his web site:

Generally it is best to face the entrance away from human or pet activity, or divide off the area with insect screen about 6 feet high - this can take the form of actual insect screen, or trellises with climbing plants, whatever you have space and water for…

Overall, I think you are right in your perception of bee behavior, but you have to remember that bees don’t like loud noises or vibration near the hive. Kids playing soccer, or somebody mowing or weed-whacking nearby might get harassed. The barrier will reduce this quite a bit.

All my hives will be placed next to my south 6’ fence … Each will face east as south would into my tall fence. This is the sunniest part of my backyard except my veggie garden. My woodshop sits between the bees n my garden. That gives me a visual n noise barrier between my bees n my garden. Best I can do with my urban location n local rules. Gerald

Thanks Gerald

This might be what I can do. my wife has told me she doesn’t want them in the garden but this might be a solution.