Interesting comparison from a year ago

So almost exactly a year ago I lost my first hive to heat. This year is going to be hotter then last year, and potentially break all records this week. However this new hive seems to be taking the heat in stride. I don’t know if that is to do with the new location of the hive with much more shade, or if the bees are just much more robust then the previous colony. However they have nearly doubled the weight of my previous bees at the same time of the year.

The one main difference is that I bought a 5 frame Nuc this year vs a package. And I believe that this has contributed most to their success. They have been adding around 5# a week since I got them, and including equipment weight they have nearly doubled in weight in about 2 months.

I am optimistic that they will survive the 120 degrees that is forecast for tomorrow, which is the temp that killed my last hive.

7 Likes

Great to see you back Adam!! And great news that your bees are off to a strong start this year too. I also opted for nucs this year instead of a package & feel it was a very good decision.

Keep us posted on your progress in that heat! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

maybe if you are around you could put a wet towel over the hive to help cool it during the extremes? I did that for my hives last year when we had some days over 40C. Interesting to see how your previous hive had much much bigger daily dips in weight? Am I reading that graph right?

1 Like

@adagna what are you using to monitor your hive temp and weight?

It is a SolutionBee hive scale. I picked it up from Brushy Mountain, not exactly cheap but it’s given me some really good insights into what’s going on inside the hive without even having to open it up.

1 Like

I just had to add a second brood box, with equipment this hive is up to over 100# in just two months, starting at 38#. These ladies are really amazing.

1 Like

So pleased to see your update, Adam. I was worried after all the heat you have had in AZ recently. Even Phoenix airport shut down because the 122F heat caused a “density altitude” which effectively made the runway too short for most aircraft to take off safely.

I feel that I am suffering when we have 90F days in San Diego, but I know nothing, Jon Snow! :smile:

Our nectar flow has really tapered off in the last week, as shown by our hive scale. Only a couple of ounces a day now, at best, and several days are negative. What are you seeing?

Time to get back to my potato salad. I used a new recipe (from Cooks Illustrated) this year, more fool me… The potatoes are turning to mash. It has bacon, hard boiled eggs and other tasty stuff in it. I am going to serve it anyway - it is Independence Day semi-mashed potato salad! :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve made mashed potato salad… It was still good. My trick with potato salad is to cook the potatoes in the skins, then peel while hot but cool about 75% before cutting and mixing with the dressing and garnishes. This way they have solidified some even if they are “well cooked”, but still warm enough to accept the seasoning and dressing.

As for the bees, they are troopers but I think the saving grace is A) being in a more agricultural area with a lot more flow. And B) Having shade in the hottest parts of the day and evening, but still a decent amount of sun during the morning and early afternoon. Here is their progress over the last month. You can see my back yard nearly hit 120 this year but the ladies took it in stride. They are adding about 1/2 lb to 1 lb every day with some days pushing 2 lbs.

3 Likes

Very nice, Adam. I am so glad that you are trying again, and doing well this year.

My mistake with the potato salad was to use Russets. Normally I use Yukon Gold potatoes. The recipe called for Russets, so that is what I bought. Boy they are fragile when cooked! I solved it by mixing all of the dressing components then building the salad in layers like a lasagna. Layer of dressing, layer of crumbling potato, layer of dressing etc. Topped off with bacon crumbles and homegrown radish micro greens. Texture wasn’t perfect, but it was pretty tasty! :blush:

2 Likes

I am starting to wonder if the last hive wasn’t killed by pesticides now. My hive has survived one day at 127 degrees and one at 125 degrees (at the hive). This hive was unphased and added weight regardless.

2 Likes

How is your other half coping with the new hive? I seem to remember that there was some anxiety the last time. Our neighbors are totally benign about ours, but I have to say, we don’t advertise their presence, and we are very aggressive about maintaining gentle bees. :smile:

1 Like

I think she is secretly into them. She checks on them, asks how they are doing, and even suggested moving the hive to a shadier location because she didn’t want them to get to hot.

One of her old work friends came for a pool day and dinner and her 6 year old who is terrified of bees wanted to hold one that landed on her dad. So mine are definitely on the gentle side. Though I did have one single lady bump me out of the chicken yard the other afternoon when I went peering into the entrance and probably got too close on a hot day, but she never stung.

2 Likes