Interesting way to get bees to make "pre packaged" honeycomb honey

Tony can you pls provide the contact information for the US manufacture of the Hogg System

I did not get a response.

There are Australian suppliers of comb packaging systems which fit

into a standard sized frame to allow bees to make comb and fill
with honey. You then remove from the hive and put lids on both
sides.

Tony

I had great success this year with my bent wooden sections:

7 Likes

Eva,
l did this with some comb honey last yearā€¦ what was interesting was the outer liquid honey set in a fine creamed manner while the comb honey stayed clear!!
Have you any thoughts on thatā€¦ would love to know why.
Sue

Sounds like the outer honey just crystallized, maybe more smoothly than usual? And I guess the honey that remains inside cells either never would or would take longer because itā€™s not as exposed to air.

What a perfect, tidy square of comb! Are you selling those - I bet theyā€™ll go fast.

I will be once I get surplus, but I have to make sure I have enough to last for myself and family through the long cold winters first! Our preferred breakfast is a slice of toast with almond butter and a slice of comb honey.

1 Like

All these prepackaged honey comb ways are great, but the way things go, one way use plastic is a no no no. Bad idea to invest any more into plastic packaging, unless it can be returned, washed and reused.
The bent wooden sections by @sbaillie are great, yet, the packaging is plastic.

How else can one pack honey comb? Any ideas?

I looked at glass jars, but the sizes arenā€™t right.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I have seen the War on Waste series and that opened my eyes to plastic and how it is choking our planet to death. And I donā€™t say that lightly.

3 Likes

I like the idea of mason jar Supers. Anyone can make them and you use glass jars for pre-packaged honeycomb honey.
Or couldnā€™t you use bent bamboo etc, and then transfer to a glass jar if you donā€™t want to use plastic?

@Faroe, exactly my thought, bent bamboo slivers. The glass jar size suitable isnā€™t invented yet though, Iā€™ve been looking and put plasdene onto it. Havenā€™t had the time to experiment with the bamboo yet. We have many types of bamboo growing, one of those should work.
My concern would be mould.
Itā€™s not so much that I donā€™t want to use plastic, but the local health food store doesnā€™t want my comb cases because they have a policy for not accepting single use plastic packaging any more.
I agree with that policy.
People could return the plastic bits for reuse. Another option.

The mason jars are cool. But imagine the poor bees working inside those jars on our hot days. No air circulation. And how do you know if there are hive beetles between the jar comb if all you do is put a lid on?

Without plastic, honeycomb packaging needs a total rethink.

1 Like

image https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiOwpHrpJ3gAhXBSg0KHabFCfAYABAQGgJxYg&sig=AOD64_1tqnK5HIV_BliaSaxwYwK84_pomw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiy0orrpJ3gAhUQZd8KHTPXC3MQwg96BAgKECE&adurl=

Iā€™ve been using these to store and give away comb honey. In addition to the side clips, they have rubber seals around the rims. One friend said a little bit leaked during air travel (she wisely put it into a ziplock baggie). But overall I think they look good and perform well. People can reuse them for just about anything! My daughter packs school snacks in them, we put leftovers in them, and I even have my Flow tubes & caps stored in one!

1 Like

this is sadly true- I use a small lightweight plastic tub that is completely perfect for the comb sections- But I feel bad about the waste. The ones we use are so nicely made they are easy to re-use- so we put a label on the bottom that says ā€˜please re-use me- or recycle meā€™. The issue with glass- even if you could find something suitable is itā€™s too expensive generally. It is also relatively energy intensive to make- and heavy for transport- so itā€™s not a perfect solution at all. Also vast quantities of glass in Australia are not being recycled and are being stored in vast mountainsā€¦

I really hope that soon new ā€˜eco plasticsā€™ are more widely developed and implemented. The curse of plastic is that it is so useful- our society has become completely dependent on it. For many food items it is very hard to think of a suitable alternative?

1 Like

Iā€™m looking. Found some ikea containers of good reusable quality and good size for comb.
Will post pic tomorrow.

4 Likes

Did you ever post that pic? :wink:

1 Like

No. Will go take one today.

1 Like

Hope the pics with those reusable ikea containers came out ok.
The lid fit is tight and sufficient. Never had a leak.

One could buy honeycomb containers fit for the purpose for a similar price, but they are not reusable.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, many people treat reusable plastic containers as disposable. It is insane. Especially if they get them for free, or they are buying the content rather than the packaging.

They are too cheap. Same story for reusable bottles.

At my wifeā€™s workplace, every week dozens of good quality plastic boxes like the Sistema etc get thrown in the bin because people get lunch in them, and donā€™t bother to take them home and reuse them. My wife picks them up and gives to charity shops when she can.

I donā€™t sell fancy honeycomb, but when I give away excess honey I do so in second hand mason jars.

Sorry for going off-topic, but plastic waste is one of my biggest pet hates.

6 Likes

So discouraging. Bothers me enough as it is to see plastic water bottles and recyclable paper goods thrown into the trash!

So far everyone Iā€™ve given honey comb to has given back the containers - in hopes of a refill :blush:

4 Likes

Have you got any results from your hogg cassette to let us know about yet, Cameron?

1 Like