Knocking off Varroa Mites with Powdered Sugar

Hi Bobby,
I watched your sugar rolling video, great footage and great color! Thank you!

For a short year, I’ve had one (Flow) hive in the Santa Monica Mountains in Southern California. As you might have heard, we’ve had a super wet, and rather chilly winter (29F at its lowest). The Flow roof leaks nicely btw…
This weekend I found my colony somewhat decimated, 50-100 bees dead on the ground outside, and DWV present. A jar-sugar shake test presented 15 mites. The brood pattern is irregular, my queen is wandering around in the center of the hive like normal, there are no drone cells, there are no queen cells, there are minuscule amounts of capped honey, ants are at bay, there’s some pollen and minimal amounts of nectar. There are visible larvae, and pupae, and spotty brood… I didn’t look for eggs.
To remedy the issue, I condensed my bee’s living quarter from two deeps to one, I installed two strips of Apivar, and I fed them. Again.
Now, the idea of “showering” the bees with powdered sugar to “ease their burden” as they’re trying to swell the colony again sounds appealing to me. What’s the harm in dusting them with real powdered sugar once a week for 42 days?!

2 Likes

Have a look here, an interesting read
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/powdered-sugar-dusting-sweet-and-safe-but-does-it-really-work-part-1/
One thing though, your mites, emerging from any brood will be hit by the Apivar (if mites aren’t resistant in your area) so opening the hive to dust may be unnecessary

2 Likes

Thank you Dee!
That’s a very thorough article, leaving me in practically the same spot where started! Lol!
I get the point, and I’ll probably use my powdered sugar on Beignets instead… Happy Mardi Gras Everyone!

3 Likes

What Dee said. :slight_smile: Apivar strips should stay suspended in the brood chamber for 6 weeks. I used the sugar to knock the phoretic mites back immediately because the load was so high, then a few days later, I dropped in Apivar strips.

1 Like

Deleted by the delete master of deletion.

1 Like

I’m fogging mine with food grade mineral oil once a week and it suffocates the mites and my girls don’t seem to care. However, I am going to obtain the oxcilic acid cooker thingy for when the mite count grows.

Don’t, just …don’t lol

If you have time to read through all of GLOCK"S posts in this thread you’ll see he takes you on a season long journey of mite fogging with FGMO.

1 Like

It seems his frequent brood breaks are more important in controlling his mite levels

1 Like