Mornington peninsula bee people?

Good luck mike. I haven’t put my flow on- I’ll have to wait until next year. My bees got chalkbrood so are barely making enough honey for themselves. Keep us posted on your progress… :+1: :honeybee:

Hi all, I’m in Mount Martha & put my flow super on after receiving 5 frames in November 2016. The bees have so far been very slow to take to the flow super. They have been up there for a few months now cleaning, putting propolis in the gaps & possibly a little wax. I am yet to take out the flow frames & have a look.

I think my next move is to rub some bees wax on to encourage them a little.

Has anyone had any success yet? By all reports it’s been a very slow few months for the bees.

Hi Tom and Anh… there is probably no nectar flow on at the moment in your part of Victoria. The bees need a nectar flow to fill the flow frames. They can fill it in a couple of weeks when there is a good flow. For me in Tasmania that was way back in late August/September/October. I’d suggest you have a look at the flow frames. You will probably find that you have some honey in the frames - particularly in the middle of the middle ones, but I’m not sure what you will do with the flow super with winter approaching. Any thoughts?

Hi Becca, do you still have your flow hive? I see your in Red Hill, Im in Merricks and would be very keen to catch up and maybe see yours as im about to purchase one.

Regards

Mark

Hi mark. Yes I do but I still haven’t used it. I just had them in the regular box over winter and still haven’t checked on my bees yet this spring. My bees had chalkbrood last year and I wasn’t keen to contaminate my flow hive with it. Your more than welcome to come around one day to have a look at it though (not in action).
Good luck!

Thanks Bec, My wife and I are very keen to start. Do you know if there is a flowhive group here on the Peninsula or is there just the SSBK club in Frankston?

I just joined the sank club in frankston. I really enjoyed their intro to beekeeping class too. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi locals! I live in Langwarrin and I’m hoping someone is still following this thread. This is my 1st summer with the Flow Hive and I have been lucky enough to have harvested some honey (with more coming!) I am having trouble with a couple of frames only half emptying due to thick Tee tree honey! Still not too sure what to do there.
With our winter approaching in the next few months, did anyone leave their Flow super on their hive thru winter for the bees’ food or did people remove them? When you read what others do it varies so much depending on their climate. I’m uncertain in what to do for the area we live in
Would love anyone’s thoughts!
Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,
I live in Rye and had my flowhive set up last September. I had a good harvest and I will leave the flow frames in for the winter and then do an inspection to see the progress. I am thinking of putting up another super as the hive has grown well and want to minimise swarming.