No queens available in West Australia!?

Hi, I am not sure as I am based in Sydney. However they have an active Apiarist association who should be able to advise on clubs in or near Albany.

http://waas.org.au/

Also, there are a number of WA beekeepers who subscribe to the following facebook groups who could offer some advice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1381989935450304/

Not sure if you are suggesting posting from Queensland or Perth? WA doesnā€™t allow bees to be brought into the state as we are free of a number of diseases and pests that are present in Queensland.

1 Like

You are right Dunc, cannot import bees into W.A.

2 Likes

How are your spring bees?
:smile:
I wrote that then realised whatā€™s going on your side of the planet and where you are.
I hope youā€™re OKā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, the EQā€™s are causing a fair bit of chaos but didnā€™t lose my house this time round. I got up in the middle of the night to check the hives hadnā€™t fallen over.

Spring is working out well thanks @Dee. Split my only colony back at the beg of October and the new one is going super well. Just put the flow supers on both #1 and 2 and both are getting waxed/propolised, so hopes high for my first go at flow extraction one of these days.

Made a tiny split about a month ago with a swarm cell a neighbour gave me and that hive is humming along beautifully. Iā€™ve now caught four swarms, both in my bait hives and two caught while standing on the roofrack of my truck. Three of them have been from my school (Iā€™m a teacher) - yes, I have a bait box in a tree outside my classroom. So, have gone from one hive to seven in fairly short order and run out of gear. Great fun.

5 Likes

Glad to hear that you are OK, @Sting. As a Californian, I am well aware of the fear of earthquakes, and I admire the way you have dealt with it in a logical and sensible manner. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Just caught another swarm at school. Thatā€™s two days in a row and four in less than two weeksā€¦ crazy! But fun.

1 Like

Great fun with the swarms.
Iā€™m sitting here planning workshop stuff.
Itā€™s 12ĖšC and raining The bees are looking out but going nowhere as all forage has gone. All they are doing is continuing to brood and eating stores Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

4 Likes

Got 40kg off that first big swarm so far and itā€™s not even a good season here according to the experts! Lovinā€™ it

2 Likes

Wow, you got 40kg of honey from your Flow Frames? Thatā€™s great news :slight_smile: Would love to some photos or videos so that I can share it with the Flow team :grinning:

Would love to say yesā€¦ but itā€™s a regular langstroth not flow. My flow hives are much slower ( :sob:

Ahh well. I guess you did all the things to encourage bees onto your Flow Frames?
http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/how-to-encourage-bees-to-fill-the-flow-frames/6535

Sure did. Just a bit slowā€¦

Hive two is mostly full now. Hive one a fair bit slower. The 35kg box is in a different area with possibly a better flow.

1 Like

Ah okay. You never know I guess.

@Faroe Iā€™ve got 9 flow frames and managed to collect about 25-27kg so far this summer (first season and by all accounts less than average for nectar flow given how messed up the weather has been). Iā€™ve got another 10kg Iā€™m expecting to rob within the month.

I find my hybrid super performs significantly better than the full flow super. Iā€™ve been toying with the idea of going to 3 hybrids next year instead of 1 hybrid and 1 full flowā€¦

Iā€™ve also for a half deep Iā€™m using for honeycomb.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting feedback.
I guess you could split your current full Flow Supers and make them all into hybrids and have honeycomb and straight Flow honey :slight_smile:

I have heard (somewhere on this forum) that beehives, even standard hives can differ quite a lot even if they are just a few metres apart. So, I wonder if it is because itā€™s a hybrid or because itā€™s just natureā€¦ :bee: :beetle:

27kg of honey sounds like enough honey to keep you going a while :wink: