Show a pic of your setup

Hi Dan, The wood is treated pine, and is as heavy as can be. I’ll still be applying two coats of non toxic stain, which leaves a waterproof finish in resin style. All cut locally.

1 Like

Love the dovetails.
Nice job.

Wow looks like a nice hive :slight_smile:
And by hams, are you referring to the children? lol

Not flow hives. They are a “garden” roof from my local supplier. Wrapped in Copper tin. I only bought the flow supers from you guys. A little cheaper on my end :slight_smile: You need a Canadian supplier!!

I started with one hive and had a good harvest last fall of 3 gallons of honey. This year I have two hives. Here is a pic of my first harvest.

Also, I thought this pertinent to Bee keepers and the fight against Varroa Destructor:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/3347240
They have a kickstarter campaign for a Bee scanning App that utilizes image analyzing technology based on cutting edge neural networks and deep learning to detect Varroa in pictures of Bees.

Thanks.

3 Likes

I live in the Transylvania region of Romania, and after a year off beekeeping, I just acquired three colonies of bees in two hives (one duplex). It was a bit of an unplanned acquisition, I just learned that an acquaintance wants to give up beekeeping, and sell what’s left of his apiary. So I bought these hives with bees, and gave them a new home. I have four more colonies planned to arrive, and I have to figure out how to get bees into my Flow hive (due to frame size differences). See more info about beekeeping in my neck of the woods in this topic.

13 Likes

Here’s the updated photo.

16 Likes

@bigB

How ofter do you inspect the hives? I have 5 and have trouble getting into them weekly.

Joe

This is my bee clubs teaching apiary. I usually have about 15-20 people break up into 3 groups and we go through the hives every two weeks. Luckily it’s only a few miles from my house so I drive by all the time.

2 Likes

Well, 3 Nucs successfully installed this past weekend.

Interestingly one of the NUCs already had queen cups built, and when topping off the feeder last night it was buzzing loudly. If it ever stops raining; I’m going to have to take a look.

Anyone ever have a freshly installed NUC swarm?

4 Likes

Four flowhives in operation. First time beekeeper this year. The hives are expanding fast and I just put on medium supers.

17 Likes

2 flow hives. EHeartwood.com freeman beetle trap bottom bases I modified by taking the angled pieces off my flow hive bottom boards.

8 Likes

They look awesome :slight_smile: have you got any honey yet?

1 Like

No, not expecting g any until next year. Started with a 10,000 bee package in each on May 9th.

1 Like

Not yet. They are new hives this year, started from nucs. Given the rate they are expanding, there’s a good chance I might get honey this first year, but I will be focusing on ensuring that the bees have enough honey for themselves to get through their first winter.

3 Likes

What did you use around the legs for any moats?

Mike

I used deck post caps turned upside down and filled with water. You can also use mineral oil for less evaporation. Kinda like these:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Our flow frame on the window side is completely full and 97% capped. We have attempted to inspect the frames and have had no luck getting them out! Between the tight fit and every inch of each flow frame sealed with propolis from top to bottom and side to side we can not remove any of them. The entire box weighs about 70-75 lbs.

The back window of the flow frames shows that the end cells are not filled at all. Is it normal for the end cells to not be filled?

Should we harvest this frame or any others since we are unable to do a full inspection of both sides of the flow frames?

Dee Diesman

I answered on the other thread where you posted the same question… :blush: