Slow and steady harvest success - Dallas, TX, USA

Installed my flow frames on April 12, 2017 in Dallas, TX. Just checked this pst weekend and feel like I’m 60% of the way there. Outside frames are last to cap. Killed about a dozen SHB. Bees very calm. NOTE - I have a north facing entrance. Really looking forward to harvesting!

3 Likes

Our outside frames still haven’t capped either. We are in San Diego, CA but we put our Flow super on the hive about the same time as you. Harvested 4 frames just over a week ago, with 2.5 to 3 gallons of honey. The hive is still gaining weight according to our Arnia hive scale, so we will see what is happening in the Flow super this coming weekend. :wink:

Here is the evidence. About 700 grams (1.5lb) in the last day, and today is hot and sunny, so maybe more yet.

Wishing all of us a great season! :smile:

5 Likes

what gear are you using to record the wights ? I like the idea of monitoring it, but some seam very pricey.

I am using an Arnia hive monitor. You are right, it is pricey, but it is totally worth it to us. I can tell when I need to think about harvesting. I can tell when the nectar flow is over. I can even tell when the hive weight is dropping enough that I need to feed.

I love it. Our honey is priced to help defray the cost. :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I harvested the middle frame today for 2 full beautiful quarts. Had my whole family over for a BBQ and it was great to listen to their questions and interest. Made homemade ice cream with a honey drizzle. I expect to harvest all frames within two weeks and then see what happens before fall.

4 Likes

During the last week or so, my Flow Frames have become nearly 100% filled and capped. This morning I took a look through the observation window and they are busy capping the final cells - easily the most activity I have observed so far in the Flow Hive. Last harvest of two middle frames was on July 22nd. I am planning to harvest all frames within the next two weeks, assuming I can inspect a good supply of honey in the super below the flow hive. I still haven’t decided if I will leave the Flow Hive on or take it off for winter.

QUESTION - How about taking the Flow Hive off and replacing with a medium super (with no queen excluder)? Not sure if they will have enough time to build out comb and supply with honey in time for winter. Hmmm.

I would probably take it off, because I hate dealing with propolis, which bees apply liberally in fall and early winter.

Even with your mild climate, I wouldn’t add a super unless your local beekeepers do that. Almost everywhere has a nectar dearth at some point in the year. Just leave them with what they have, and feed if you have to, but with 2 brood boxes, they should be fine. :blush:

1 Like