Small Hive Beetle - SHB Aethina Tumida

hey @JeffH love your videos (watched the smoker one as well, very insightful). would this work if adding a second brood box as well (forgive me if that isn’t correct jargon)? i’ve seen a few videos of the frames getting stuck together when beeks are taking them apart (think that was @Chet_Calhoun if i’m not mistaken). i’m a few weeks away from adding my second brood box super so i may as well put the best plan in place

Hi Mat, thank you. If you use all frames containing properly fitted foundation, you should have no problems.

With your first box, I’d suggest you check all of your frames to make sure that the combs are sitting in the frames properly. If that is the case & you evenly space them, you should find removing & replacing them to be a sinch.

1 Like

Small Hive Beetle SHB traps DIY

Catching Small Hive Beetle: How to prepare and deploy lantern traps

A Queensland-based research team led by Dr Diana Leemon has completed a three-year research project as part of the AgriFutures™ Honey Bee and Pollination Program, investigating the development of an external attractant trap for SHB in an attempt to reduce numbers affecting hives.

3 Likes

Hi Forum buddies. I 've been absent for a while but getting back into it.

I have read through the New South Wales department of primary industries materials on the SHB. I want to tidy up my apairy to reduce the reproduction of SHB around the hive. They are such persistant little blitters.

Could any one tell me if extremes in temperature destroy SHB eggs and lavae.
…If there are eggs in the comb will melting it neutralise the eggs? If so how long do you need to heat the eggs for? Does freezing the comb destroy the eggs?

Yes and larvae. Leave them at -18C for at least 48 hours and there will be no survivors! :wink:

1 Like

Hi Caterina, there’s 3 ways you can kill beetle eggs & larvae. #1 as you say “melting the comb”. The temp it takes to melt comb may not be enough. I melt the comb in the bin I boil my wax with water in. Boiling it with water definitely kills the eggs & larvae. #2 as you & @Dawn_SD suggest, freezing it definitely kills it, however you’d need to avoid the smell in the freezer, if that applies. #3 is a beauty. All you need to do is put it all into a bucket, with a lid on, in the sun on a hot day kills everything inside the bucket.

2 Likes

Saw this being experimented with on another forum, thought I’d share.

3 Likes

Gravel under the hive and water with vinegar and salt mix or just throw salt under the hive. Stops weeds and reduces the bugs.

1 Like