Space in Broodbox

I do not get it! Why is there so much space in the brood box left.

I learned in the beekeeping class that I took that I have tot item the frames us much as i can. So the bees do not create comb somewhere on the roof of the brood box or made the comb to deep… It seams logical to me when i joined the class.
So what are you doing?

This is normal for Langstroth boxes. The Flow hive is made at the upper end of Lang specs, in that it is 14" wide. However, what you need to do is put 8 frames in, and push them all together in the middle, leaving equal gaps at both walls. The bees will correct the outer space once they draw comb. The extra space at the outside gives you room to lift the first frame by easing it into the gap, without the risk of rolling (=killing) bees as you lift. Do not be tempted to put 9 normal frames in the box - you will mess up the bee space, and kill bees when you inspect.

7 Likes

Awesome! Thank for your answer! I read something like that. Okay i should have made a beekeeping class with Langstroth not swiss special boxes! Every time the Swiss want to invent the world new!?!

2 Likes

Marc,

Here’s a pix or two of my 8 frames. Yah ! Starting you’re doing what you’re TOLD ! Like Dawn has said, PUSH the eight together shoulder to shoulder with centering the group of 8 frames equally ! Not had much issue n I have Three 8 frame hives, three 10 frame hives n at least four 5 frame hive. Bees can still do their own thing but usually easy to clean up during inspection. I get more burr-comb above frames.

Hope these pix’s ease your concern n worries ! There’s a lot to learn so don’t sweat the small stuff !

Good luck n happy beekeeping,

Gerald

2 Likes

I noticed the same thing, but too late, bees have filled the approx. 1" gap with their own foundation… I have a couple of questions though:
-The brood box is almost completely full, and have built beautiful foundation on the frames [4-5] that were open [no foundation, but the frames where they have made their own foundation are pretty fragile. One frame fell out completely. Is this one of the negatives about foundationless frames?
-The bees do not seem to be migrating into the upper flow hive frames. Should I just be more patient?
-Is it possible that my queen excluder is also excluding the other bees from upper frames?
Thanks from a relative newby!

A photo would help, as one man’s full is another’s “plenty of space” :smile:

Yes, it can be. If your frames have eyelet holes in the side bars, consider wiring the empty frames with beekeeping foundation wire or nylon fishing line. The bees will build that into the comb and give it more support.

Were all of the following true when you added the Flow super? Only add the new box (filled with frames) when all of the following are true:

1. Every frame has fully drawn comb, or at least 90% drawn comb - no huge gaps, and
  2. Every frame is 80% full of honey, pollen or brood, and
  3. Every frame is completely covered with bees.

If all of those were true, did you try waxing the plastic Flow frames? The bees take to the super much more readily if you do.

It may slow them, but should not exclude them. Rusty Burlew posted a recent blog article about using a top entrance during nectar flows to increase honey storage. You might want to consider that:

Please use the upper right magnifying glass tool to search this forum too. Many of your questions have been answered several times already. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Todd, I’m a big fan of all of the brood frames being properly fitted with wax foundation & evenly spaced. That way you’ll get a strong worker population. With a strong worker population coupled with a good honey flow, they’ll be into the flow frames a quick as anything.

If you must use foundationless frames, you need to practice holding them vertical at all times while inspecting them. The same way you would handle top bar frames. Fitting them with fishing line or foundation wire as @Dawn_SD suggests will be a big improvement. However I have found that the bees treat wire or nylon as a foreign body & sometimes they initially work around it rather than through it. But it does turn out ok in the long run. Try to eliminate any large areas of drone comb, especially if SHB are in your area.

1 Like