Tung oil treatment for Flow Hives

Should the Tung oil be thinned with mineral spirit for the first coat? Or you would recommend applying it pure.

Never with mineral spirit - too toxic and smelly for bees. You can apply it neat, it is just harder work for the first coat. I diluted mine 1:1 with food grade Citrus Solvent (also called D-Limonene), making it easier to apply and faster to penetrate the wood. The second and third coats were pure Tung Oil (no thinner).

1 Like

@Dawn_SD Thank you for the fast reply :slight_smile: I will try to find D-Limonene if not ill just apply pure Tung Oil

1 Like

Hi all,

I see everyoneā€™s obsession with tung oil to seal the hive, I have noticed that most local stores (I.e. Home Depot) carry tung oil or teak oil mixed with a hefty dose of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) (over 200g/L). I found this Olympic Waterguard clear wood sealer that has less than 100g/L of VOCs. I applied two coats and it looks good, doesnā€™t smell like much and dries fast. It is suitable for outside, protects from UV, mold and moister. So I am placing my bet on it, will report later.

Hi Dawn, What are you thoughts on using the tung oil on the Paulowina Wood, i love the natural colour of the wood, and the Bees Dearly so desire a non toxic home/hive for them, any ideas? Also for the Roofā€¦ Thank you Kindly. Valerija

1 Like

Welcome to the Flow forum, Valerija! I think you should only use Tung Oil on cedar. Pine hives need more protection from the elements, rot and chewing insects, whereas cedar has some natural protection from its resin and wood structure. I would suggest a good quality exterior paint or sealer. I think @Rodderick has used a deck sealant on some of his hives. Perhaps @Freebee2 has some recommendations from Flow too?

Depending on your climate (I donā€™t know where your Turntable Creek is - there is one in NSW, one in California and one in Wisconsin, USA), you may need to paint your roof white, or at least a very light colour. Even natural wood can get very hot for the bees in summer and the roof will get hotter than the walls.

Keep asking questions here, we are all happy to help! :blush:

4 Likes

iā€™ll bee receiving my new flow hive in a week or so. would it bee OK to coat both side of of the flow hive with tung oil? once dry, will everything fit OK? iā€™m so new to bees it scares me. i think iā€™ll paint the roof white or a very lite color. Waco Texas gets unbearably hot in the summer.

If you are getting a cedar Flow hive, you really donā€™t need to do that. If you coat the outside with tung oil, the bees will wax the inside. That is all you need to do.

White for the roof sounds perfect

Did you order a western red cedar flow hive?

You only need to coat the outside. Treat after assembly.

Bear in mind that the tung oil treatment may take more than a few days to get all the necessary coats (3+) on and 15-30 days to fully cure.

You might consider painting the whole hive instead of using tung oil.

thanks Dawn. this forum is the catā€™s meow. i am learning so much here just reading all posts.

1 Like

The Difference Between Tung Oil & Pure Tung Oil)