UK Flow keepers

Make that 0.2mm straining

CVB

Josh

Itā€™s the temperature inside the hive thatā€™s important not the outside temperature. The bees will keep the inside temperature up to about 35 degrees centigrade by flexing the muscles. The problem could be with Oil Seed Rape and Ivy honey which is well-known for readily crystallizing in the comb and that MAY restrict to Flow Hive mechanism. Only one way to find out!

CVB

ā€œ2mm Straining is required - read attached .pdf belowā€

If weā€™re saying what is legal, the pdf recommends that 2mm straining is done, itā€™s not specifically a legal requirement.

Thanks for your message @charlievictorbravo helpful information and nice to know that your happy for a newbee like myself to join, Iā€™ll look up my local group sounds good. Iā€™ve also been looking into courses and see that there are afew beekeepers in cornwall that run courses with practical experience which maybe good as well.

While researching I have found articles on the native black cornish bee, which was very interesting and would love to support this rather than importing bees. Thanks for your advice and help, much appreciated.

Guy from Solihull Environmental Health said they can check, especially if you are at a Farmerā€™s Market. If you put a 2mm strainer over the collection container/tank it will keep the bees out and strain at the same time - If selling it, it canā€™t hurt or label it unfiltered. Either way you label must reflect all the correct details

If you would send a post code or your nearest town, I will look up the contact details of the nearest CBKA Group. Iā€™m in Torpoint and go to the Liskeard Group.

CVB

Thanks @charlievictorbravo thatā€™s great, Iā€™m in mid Cornwall my nearest town is Bodmin.

Hereā€™s a link to the Bodmin Group of the CBKA that contains contact information. Or, if you wait a couple of weeks, you can chat to real beekeepers at the Royal Cornwall Show and see an observation hive with real bees at the show ground in Wadebridge.

http://www.cbka.co.uk/#/bodmin-group/4576725056

CVB

1 Like

Real bees as opposed to large photos of bees stuck on both sides of a piece of card and glued into a frame. Is the Thurrock Show still a goer or has it gone the way of a lot of carnivals and District Shows? I hear the Southend Air Show no longer happens due to ā€œthe financial situationā€

CVB

Yes, it was the Orsett Show that I had in mind.

CVB

Hey Dex. Out of interest, where in Essex are you? Cheers!

Iā€™m interested in your comment about importing bees from other countries such as Greece. What type of bee do the Greeks use? Is it Buckfast? Any info one what the Greek beekeepers use would be much appreciated.

Hi Dexter. Not ordered flow items yet, but will do. Got my timing HORRIBLY wrong! Started showing an interest JUST as all the courses were already underway and full. Soā€¦ 2015 is about reading all the books I can find and watching as many videos as possible. I plan to be the worldā€™s greatest expert without actually having any bees!
Iā€™m joining the Romford Beekeepers as an Associate so I can soak up the knowledge and then the plan is to start the courses when they come around in 2016 and get myself some bees then. Soā€¦ by 2017 I should be able to take honey for myself, by which time the Flow gang should have frames to fit nationals. Itā€™s a long plan, but i want to do this right. Iā€™m scared by all the people who appear to be looking at Flow hives as just a tap for honey with no real interest in actual bee keeping.
Meanwhile Iā€™m looking for any ā€˜tasterā€™ days or just someone happy to let me come along when they inspect their own hives - Iā€™ve gotta get some experience somehow!

I did a Google search and found the following:

Apis mellifera cecropia (The ā€œGreekā€ bee)

Very similar in appearance to the Italian bee, the Greek bee is favoured for its very mild temperament, large colony size, lack of tendency to swarm and good foraging ability. However it is renowned for being a heavy producer of propolis, making it difficult to separate hive parts and is not thought to do well in the damp and cooler climates of northern Europe. The Greek bee has often been used to produce crosses in an attempt to instil less aggression into northern bees. However, some beekeepers have reported that crosses of Greek and Northern strains often produce very aggressive colonies one or two generations on.

I donā€™t know whether Greeks use these commercially but they are the native bees.

CVB

Thanks CVB, I saw that comment online too. I think the Greek bee is a Buckfast. I havenā€™t found out much on the Greek bee. I guess I have to get my Greek relatives to do some investigating for me.

1 Like

greekbecky, youā€™re right. Google SUPERBEE