UK Flow keepers

It sort of does matter, in that the metal bar that you screw to the bottom of the box fits into a shallow recess carved out of the wood, so that it is flush and the box sits flat on the one below it. If you reverse the sides, the recess will be at the wrong end of the box. No big deal - just chisel or sand out one at the drain end of the box, where it should be.

Dawn

It is okay, that metal bar fitted in without adjustment - our hive has the observation window to the right of the extraction frames, as illustrated on the Flow frame instruction manual, and this is not the side illustrated on the sheet “Assembling your flow box” which came with it!

We are thrilled with it.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I’m in Essex, I have just set up the built the Flow Hive a month ago. Begginer at beekeeping. Putting myself on a course to find out how to look after the bees. Course starts on 16th April for 5 Saturdays.

I am buying my Nun from a local beekeeping member, he will basically get the bees settle in the flow hive brood box and I will collect the bees in June and set it up at home. He has local bees which are not aggressive, which makes it easy for beginner.

I am learning everything I can before I go head and dive into beekeeping. At the same time excited with the idea.

Has anyone used their flow hive and harvested the honey from it. I would like to know your experience on the flow hive.

I shall look forward in hearing from you.

Paras

Lots on you tube and some videos on the forum if you look round. No harvests in the uk for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Is this legal - Hmm are you on the correct web site? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Funny, Type error meant to type Nucleus.

2 Likes

But makes for a good laugh

2 Likes

Have you started using the flow hive?

If so are the bees comfortable storing their honey in the flow hive?

The Local Beekeeping Association is against the flow hive, but the funny thing is they would not mind buying mine.

The other thing I found is that they were not a great fan of the langstroth hive.

Are you guys facing the same?

I put it on for a couple of weeks when it arrived in September/October so the bees could look at it.

My local Beeks - some are curious, some are sceptical they want me to do a demo at some stage.

I’m one of very few with Langstroth - but have a way to do nationals as well so not worried

1 Like

How long have you had the flow hive super on?

I took it off after 2 weeks - it was going into Autumn - Not on yet - perhaps end of month

The standard British hive is the national. It’s what most people in the uk use. More and more are using Lang and poly. It doesn’t matter what box you use just learn to look after your bees properly. Learn from your experienced beekeepers in your association. Remember the flow frames are a method of extraction only so you put the super on when a traditional one would go on. In Essex you have mild weather so the flow frames should work well enough. When you have six frames absolutely solid with brood then put the flow frames on. Any earlier and you risk your colony

1 Like

I would be very interested to find out how it goes,

Why do you not have the Super on all the time?

1. Because it is too cold in the UK winter
  2. The heat loss in winter could have killed off the bees
    3, There was no honey only a bit of wax in it
1 Like

Thank you Dee that is very help full, I am learning as much as I can before I start with actually beekeeping.

Do you allow the bees to build their own wax frame or do you provide a wax frame for them to build on?

Would you leave the Flow Hive Honey Super over the winter if it is fully of honey for the bees to feed on?

No as you don’t want the queen laying up there - keeping the brood box with sufficient stores for winter and to start up the spring laying is sufficient - I went into winter with about 6 frames of stores they have some left and are collecting Spring stores now but the brood is building slowly

1 Like

I use foundation and let the bees buil their own so a bit of both. As for leaving a super on all the time you can if it is a traditional box. The bees simply move up there where it’s warmest in the winter. To that end you mustn’t leave a queen excluder in place. The bees won’t leave the queen and any brood and they will starve. This time of year the queen is laying flat out and the brood nest is expanding rapidly. They need every bit of nectar, overwintered stores and pollen they can get. It’s the pollen that is the protein source for new bees. I haven’t looked into most of mine yet as its been too cold. The one colony that I have had a thirty second look at to add a frame of stores already has three frames absolutely packed with worker brood.

3 Likes

Thank you Dee and Valli for all the information you are giving.

How many brood boxed do you have on each hive. I hear during spring and summer it is best to give the bees more room to expand.

My Lang is untested so far. I run 14x12 Nationals which are just the right size for brood space and winter stores.Looking at the space you might struggle with running two deeps in the UK, one might be too small. Ask around your fellow beekeepers.
There is an excellent forum that is full of wise and very helpful members but it is not for the faint hearted. The help I’ve got there has pulled me out of one or two potential disasters over the years. It’s UK based so you should have a look, but be polite or they will eat you :wink: …only joking.

1 Like