Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

1 or 2 brood boxes in Victoria, BC, Canada?

Hi Jerry, Happy Veterans Day, and thank you for stepping up to serve when our country asked for your help. :heart_eyes:

I don’t see why it shouldn’t be totally possible, and his mathematics are very convincing. My major concern would be lack of food stores going into winter. You could always leave them a super of honey, but if you did, you would need to take off the queen excluder so that the cluster isn’t in danger of leaving the queen to chill. Then the queen may decide to move up into the super to lay in early spring. A bit tricky.

If you don’t put a honey super on, you will have to commit to assessing food stores all winter, and feeding as needed. I wouldn’t recommend that for a new beekeeper, as it is too easy to misjudge it. I totally understand for experienced or commercial beekeepers, it is absolutely possible, but I think there are just too many risks and difficulties for most hobbyists.

I will be very interested to hear Ed’s (@Red_Hot_Chilipepper) experience when next season gets started.

He runs 10 frames and I popped him the 8 frame question of whether or not it will work the same way in 8 frames.

I subscribe to his channel and he weighs his hives plus a large number of honey supers. I live his description and analysis on things. I also like Jason’s bees.

Well, QED (quad erat demonstrandum = as was just shown by your comment) then, as we would say in the UK. :blush: At least those of us who had to learn Latin for 2 years might say that… :smile:

In other words, if you keep a close eye on things, you can do it. If you are a “leave it alone” beekeeper, one brood box will probably spell trouble for you sooner than double brood. :wink:

I’m sticking with the current plan because the 10 frames are heavy and I’m already involved in 8 frame equipment. But I do enjoy his videos.