7th time to harvest this year! Texas, USA

Semaphore, very nice! I will use your idea. I can have two lids with one like you are using for harvesting. Thanks!

1 Like

Do you have a picture of the sieve?

G’day Bob, it’s a good thing you’re not a fisherman, otherwise you’d be giving evasive answers out of habit. Maybe you are a fisherman & you ARE giving evasive answers.

All of those questions reminds me of a fisherman coming home with a big catch.

1 Like

that’s what I do- have one lid just for harvesting. At a stretch a piece of cardboard with holes in works fine.

I bought this bucket- it came with a double sieve which is handy for using with most buckets:

the sieve is very nice quality- but the bucket is a bit lightweight. Still OK. You can find the sieve alone on ebay.

this set up is great- by wrapping a tea towel around the edge of the sieve- and sitting the lid on top- it was beeproof and I harvest and strain all in one fell swoop.

Watching your video- it looks like the honey is flowing out very fast- I’m guessing you cranked the entire frame in one go? If you do it in quarters and leave the set up alone for 25 minutes (or more) between quarters- the honey flows out slower- doesn’t back up in the tube as much- and any risk of internally leaking honey is reduced. The amount that leaks will reduce- and the less of the brood will be affected at any time- giving them time and space to clean it up efficiently. Using a sealed bucket this is no issue assuming you have the time to spare.

One time my honey was extremely think- and I just left the bucket out overnight for every last drop of honey to trickle out.

Thank you for answering the questions it reinforces what I am doing as a beekeeper.

So that’s 24 or 32 deep langstroth frames?
What sort of bees fill that space? Carnies?

Most of the beekeepers in my club have local mongrels bees, some of these bees are very prolific.

However the experience beekeepers are using the Rosehive method.

They local beekeepers have National Hive Deep frames.

I am running on the normal Langstroth Deep brood frames, well I shall let you know how it works out next year after I have attempted to try it out.

As you know there are more than one way of doing beekeeping and I am exploring what works for me before I settle down and use that. If it works I will have to come up with a name for it, lol.

What are those, please

Hi Dee, sorry was a spelling mistake on my message have corrected. I meant Mongrels bees.

1 Like

Here are pictures a week later. The wax caps are off and they are filling with honey again.

2 Likes

Looks good :slight_smile:
But are some cells in the open position? Or am I seeing things :crazy_face:

1 Like

Let me go check to be sure they are all closed. I believe they are closed
but I may have missed it.

I think they probably are closed too - there is an odd optical illusion with the frames when you photograph from an angle and the comb is not evenly drawn from the plastic wavy surface. Very easy to get fooled by a photo. :blush:

Just thought I would double check.
You can put the Flow Key in the upper slot and turn it in the middle and each side to double check they are all closed.

1 Like

I just went out and checked and they are all closed.

2 Likes

I didn’t think the braided hose was food safe? The stuff at Home Depot falls under the California Proposition 65.

So does just about everything else. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wow that’s terrible :neutral_face:

“Human life is lethal sexually-transmitted disease” - just about all of life is carcinogenic or dangerous. I say we should just enjoy whatever we can. :blush:

3 Likes

Here are progress pictures two weeks after 7th harvest. Looks like another week till another possible harvest. May only harvest half in case flow slows down to prepare for winter.

6 Likes