After more than 2 years, what are the results?

Agreed. As a youngster, some of my favourite memories are of the annual honey harvest in the long weekend in March. The excitement I had with the job of lighting the smoker (and blowing clouds of smoke like a steam train)… the great aural and visual delights of clouds of fractious bees above the tiny split paling honey house against the Autumn sky…the hot knife slicing through the cappings…the 44 gallon hand operated drum extractor equipped with a magnificent bike chain mechanism, drum brakes too. I loved to get up to top speed with that thing. We even had a cooking gas powered pressure cooker supplying steam through a copper pipe encircling the extractor -to enable the honey to flow in the cool Tasmanian evenings. And the divine smell of it all…

I wasn’t the one cleaning up however in those days so my memories are untempered by that. These days I am fortunate to be able to enjoy both methods. The Flow frames do work and is indeed…

4 Likes

Dear all.
Thanks for your comments, it is always useful… My question was orientated to the Flow team : no one to answer ?
We don’t want to know your secret, but at least have your feeling about the near future… Will you stay on one product ? What about fighting chinese copy ? Extend it to Dadant size for example as one super full is really heavy, and of course it is necessary to have a look Inside, or to semi / professionnals ? It would be a pity to disapear as rapidly as it was created…

Maybe @Faroe can yank some chains and rattle some cages. :smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As urban beekeepers, we’ve been harvesting cut-comb honey for 11 years and it is so easy and hassle-free! I usually harvest 1-3 frames at a time and do it all in about an hour on my patio table in the backyard. My set-up includes a cut-open paper bag to catch drips, a knife, and containers for the honeycomb. That’s it.
We purchased our Flow light (hybrid) so we could have pure honey for mead-making whilst continuing to have cut comb for our toast :honey_pot::clinking_glasses::hugs:

5 Likes

Hi Jack, just to correct you, or maybe I read it wrong or interpreted what you said out of context. You said “you need to remove the supers & get the bees off the frames”.

1 Like

hmm, and here was me thinking you had misread me- when in fact I didn’t know what i had actually written…

2 Likes

Hi Jack, that’s alright mate:) no problems at all.

I’ve just started reading your blog.
What a bio…WOW!

2 Likes

Thanks for taking a peek Dee :ok_hand:t4::purple_heart::honeybee::purple_heart::frog:

Converting this backyard technology to suit a commercial environment is happening…will just take sometime to perfect it.

4 Likes

Hi Dee - that was a nice and some of your comments were a helpful reminder. I’m very self taught though and so I have one question - what do you mean by stored wet? Thanks so much. Betsy

Extracted the traditional way with a spinner the frames are still wet with honey. Some people put those back on the hives for the bees to clean up by eating all the remaining honey. At the end of the season when I don’t expect any more honey and I am helping the bees prepare for winter those frames come out of the spinner wet with honey and are stacked up, strapped together, protected top and bottom. I leave them outside. It protects against wax moth damage and the bees are straight up into them the following year

OK good!! That’s what I’m doing! Thanks so much.

1 Like

The honey flooding has not been an issue for the people…the bees on the other hand…lol

2 Likes