Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Bee Photographs

Aha you got me there Eva! I’ve had to google it. It looks like Frogbit. There’s also duckweed, mint, umbrella reed and papyrus. So now I know. There are minnows in them to keep the mozzies at bay and a solar pump which is the only thing that I paid for. :ok_hand:
Now you’ve made me google aquatic plants I’m going to have to pull the plants out and replace with edible ones… Thanks. :nerd_face:
The best thing is that we don’t have many bees visiting the pool. Last year I was fishing out dozens of bees a day, now, just one or two. These small ponds have been in for the last two years and the minerals would have built up which seems more attractive to the bees.
I mentioned in another thread that when I watch the bees leaving I see them flying off away from my hives which I find curious.
As for summer, I’ve gotta say I’m a bit over it, the ground needs a drink.
Well how about that, a full paragraph with no bee puns. Hive surprised myself.

2 Likes

Quite a bit of smoke bout in the background there.

Wow the flower looks like fireworks!

Thanks so much for the dragon fruit. Maureen asks where did it originally come from? , my guess is Indonesia or Southern China. We finished off a half, well Maureen had one piece and I scoffed the rest. You failed to warn me that if you overeat if you really get gas bad — but it is really nice to eat :grin:
cheers

Hi Peter, I’m really pleased that you both like it. It originated in Mexico, I think. They have really taken to it in Thailand & Vietnam. It’s easy to understand how one would imagine that it originated in that area.

You are winding me up :slight_smile: I have never experienced gas from eating dragon fruit :slight_smile: What did you have for lunch yesterday?

cheers for now

Reef fish and veg as usual. I did a Google and found a gas reaction when there is a low probiotic level, and a generally unhealthy diet - that fit right for me. The Dragon Fruit is found in SE Asia as well as Mexico, and is a cactus.
Cheers

1 Like

Last week during the warm spell the bee finally started bearding. The insulation in and on the roof seemed to be working well up until now. Currently in the middle of our main flow, somewhat late.
Although late in the season I’ve noticed drones and this could be an indication this colony may have a plan that doesn’t align with mine. :wink:
Still in fire ban season until April and there are a few electronic signs around saying, “ANY signs of fire call 000” (Our emergency services number.) so smoke is out and it is quite daunting opening up a colony this size to do checks.
Anyway, here are pics of the same hive, same day at 40°C an hour apart.

@busso, not smoke, sky and poor camera skills… Havnt had a fire these parts for a few years. They used to do controlled burns which I thought was great but as housing density and new estates grow too many new residents complained about the smoke so it was stopped. Now the bush land is weedy, tinder dry and dangerous.

6 Likes

Found some bees wanting a drink near Daylesford today. They were ar a small creek that had stoped flowing and there was just a pool left.
I have a great video of one drinking but still trying to get it uploaded.

7 Likes

It won’t upload directly to the Forum, but if you upload to YouTube first, you can paste the link here and then we can all watch it. :wink:

I was going to hit you with the same advice as Dawn has done, it seems that is the only way to get a video onto the forum.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi all,
Here is the video that I took of the bee drinking.

Enjoy.

Peter

7 Likes

Glad to see the sedum finally flowering… it’s constantly covered in bees.

6 Likes

Passion fruit flower.

6 Likes

I’ve recently been talking about the Golden Pendas in flower. We have one of our own in the front yard. I’m waiting for a chance to get a bee photo to share. I will as soon as the rain stops. Also when the lower down buds bloom. In the mean time this Rainbow Lorikeet posed for a photo.

cheers
PS, an hour later, the rain stopped, the sun came out, & so did the bees :slight_smile:

5 Likes

David wants that Lorikeet. He would keep it in our back garden! :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah right Dawn, then it would become an invasive pest like it is here. Although they are pretty and often kept as pets in cages I hate them with a passion.

1 Like

Hi Skeggley, are you into bush tucker? You might be able to turn those invasive pests into tasty meals :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fruit and veg growers hate them with a vengeance.

2 Likes

We drove past this row of Golden Pendas this afternoon in King St. Buderim.

This is one of the bees, possibly mine.

3 Likes

This bee was working my Yacon (Peruvian Ground Apple) flowers a little while ago.

I didn’t know which photo to upload, so I uploaded both.
cheers

3 Likes