Bees are chewing holes in the flow frames!

Hi Linda, Yes indeed. Bees move their pollen and honey around to keep it closer to brood or where the bulk of bees are nesting at the time. They also need considerable amounts of honey to build wax so they could be consuming it.

2 Likes

I have both colours. My original frames look like these ones photographed above and the replacement frames are yellow. They are also slightly different sizes - the original frames are about 6mm longer and so donā€™t butt up against the new ones, with the ā€˜shouldersā€™ slipping behind each other and compromising bee space.

1 Like

This is definitely interesting, any chance you can taken a photo of the frame length differences?

I was putting frame feeders in mine recently, so I pulled one frame out of each of them. Thatā€™s when I noticed the the prototype ones I got a couple of years ago are taller in the back (from the frame rest to the top) than the new ones. The new ones are the same as a regular frame in the ā€œfrontā€ but taller in the ā€œbackā€ (the ā€œbackā€ being the end where you harvest, though this is on the front of mine). I made the first box I had to the specs they gave me, so I must have cut both frame rests down (donā€™t remember doing that now, but I must have). After putting a feeder in each, I had enough for one more super, but It will have to be special made to have one of them different. Still thatā€™s ok, Iā€™ll just make the frame rests correct for what they are. It will just step down for the last frame (the ā€œtallerā€ one) on one end, and step up on one end for the frame feeder. The length seems to be okā€¦

1 Like

Sure @RBK , will try and remember to take a shot after workā€¦ tho my memory is a bit like @Michael_Bushā€™s in the above comment. So, donā€™t hold your breathā€¦ or give me a reminderā€¦

Not necessarily related but there are now Chinese knock-offs in circulation.

Seriously? I have been seeing several flow hives on EBay and was wondering why people are selling them? My frames are also darker yellow,

@Nux has already confirmed these are genuine Flow frames

http://www.multisweet.com.cn/search/product?fsb=y&IndexArea=&CatId=&SearchText=flow+frames

Stinks I hope they have Made in China marked on them. Do they even have Bees in China?

I think there are bees just about everywhere except Antarctica. The Chinese sure love their royal jelly.

There is a ā€˜reviewā€™ of fake flow frames on youtube- basically they are complete crap and you are going to run into troubles if you try and use them. And they are not even that much cheaper!

1 Like

They are 100% genuine flow frames!
The bees are really filling the frames up. Almost ready to harvest all the frames.

Sorry I realize that- I was just showing the fake ones that are out there

1 Like

Thank you I learned a lot. That was important information for me.

Yes they do. and commercial beekeeping practices are extremely poor, of course they are set up as ā€˜factoriesā€™. What can you expect however when human rights are non existant, the well being of animals is never going to be a priority

1 Like

Any news/changes regarding the holes/cracks in the frames?