Bees night activities

Well, if you really want to peek … this is how to do it!

@lipinsky have you used that endoscope? Can you vouch for it? Any shortcomings?

The biggest thing I don’t like about is that it only connects directly to the phone. I can’t (easily) send the feed as a video stream on the internet.

As it’s from Amazon, if it doesn’t work as you expected you can return it.

L

I bought an inspection camera for watching the bees but found out as soon as you stick it in the front door guard bees are all over it and you can’t see a thing.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good to know. Have you ever tried going in through the super and peering down via the top through the QX into the brood box?

No have’t tried but they seen to have a problem with anything. Did have extra windows(2) put in super.

I wonder if there is a “smell” on it that “alerts” the guards? I wonder if there is a way to “clean it” to remove or mask the smell?

Have you tried smoking it before you put it in the hive?

Same hear. The bees go mad and attack it and block the view. Will try to give it lemon grass smell. I wonder if the bees relax once the camera is stationary in the hive for a while.
My endoscope has a little operation box with a screen.

Perhaps putting the camera in another entry point would work - after all, it’s the guards’ job to neutralize all strange things coming in the front door :muscle:

1 Like

I wonder if it is a reaction to the bright light. Nurse bees are generally photophobic (dislike light) until they get to around 18 days old. During an inspection, if we use a strong LED light to help search for eggs, it isn’t long before bees are trying to smother it. Just a thought.

:blush:

We stuck ours through the hole in the upper cover to check the flow frames. The bees went berserk.

I have never had the patience to wait them out, when I have time to work hives there is always something to be done at another… and I only tend 5 hives… maybe if I had 10.

How’d the lemon grass work out?

Haven’t done it yet. Too cold today to even lift the roof.