Well, time for an update. My 2 hives were affected by pollen/nectar which resulted in one recovering fully and the other, which was recently recovered from chalkbrood and thus a bit down on numbers, well all of the foragers slowly died. So we popped in a sugar bag which was untouched and on the third day when I checked, I noticed and smelt mould on the frames and on the inner lid. Just when it couldn't have got any worse Out came the white king again and the I wiped every surface and frame I could get to. So, in a last ditch attempt I added 1 brood frame and 1 fully laden honey/pollen frame from the good hive. And held my breath. Nothing happened, not a lot of movement and still the odd bee falling off the perch. I then realised I would have to wait until the larvae hatched and went through their nurse, guard, forager cycle for the hive to gather momentum. Decided to add a sugar bag again and was surprised to see it covered within hours. Ditto next day. Was highly excited until, while sitting in front of the hive having a cup of tea, a lot of bees were just popping into the new hive, filling up and then back to their old hive with their bellies full.. Geez, I can't win. So I have let this happen a couple of days until today. Inspected the new hives frames yesterday and have decided the hive is queenless. Against my best judgement, hubby moved the hives around. Never gonna work I thought. But it has. All the renegades from the old hive are jetting into the new depleted hive with pollen and nectar all day long, completely ignoring their old hive. Everything I've read says that bees will locate their hive by location and by wax smell. Or maybe mine are exceptionally stupid and can't smell at all. Might return things to normal by the end of this week as the new hive will have built up some stores and be a bit closer to foragers coming online. Never a dull day here.