Bottom board pattern with fighting

Added a robber screen about a little over a week ago. Kinda thought robbing behavior would cease after a few days. The last couple days were rainy and I thought maybe things were better but today this is what I see again. Am I right to think this looks like robbing- they’re trying to get in the reduced entrance, go straight for it and get stopped by the screen?

I haven’t seen a robbing screen of the design in your photo. Without video, I think it is hard to comment.

However, it looks to me as if that mesh may be obstructing the entrance significantly. If you still see fighting and dead bees on the ground, I would consider buying a commercially available screen, like the one I linked above, or making one like this:
http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/files/147611.pdf

Got design here: http://www.colonialbeekeepers.com/index.php/education-information-mainmenu-43-43/98-how-to-make-a-robbing-screen

There is 3/4-1” between entrance and screen, they just have to go around the side. From what I was reading on robbing screens, the thought is that robbers go by smell and try to head straight in but can’t while home bees will take the time to go around the side of the screen.

I’ve never seen a lot of dead bees on the ground. I diagnosed robbing because of the fighting and frantic behavior. I can get some video. Perhaps I’ll remove the screen tonight and videbut tomorrow.

Much calmer outside the hive now. Opened up today, no queen or brood. Not enough bees to make it worth seeking out a frame of brood this late in the season I don’t think. Some smb seen, some wax moth larvae seen.

There is a couple one sided frames of honey left and some pollen. What should I do? Is this worth freezing for a future hive? Or no because of disease? Should I just allow the hive to die out or remove the frames and force the issue?

Uh-oh Marcos, doesn’t sound good…so how many bees do you estimate are left? Did you find a dead queen?

Not sure what to advise about your bees except to bump @Dee for her directions on getting queenless stragglers to go into another hive…I’ve done it but my circumstances were a bit different.

Anyway, you can definitely save your combs & stores by freezing them. That will kill off larvae & other insects. New bees will clean up & have a head start next year.

No sign of queen. There wasn’t when I checked a couple weeks ago either so today was a check to make sure I didn’t miss a newly laying queen.
I’m not sure how estimate numbers but I think they would have trouble covering 1 frame front and back. Maybe 1.5 sides of a (deep) frame.
M

Gotcha. That’s too bad, sorry to hear it. I had about the same amount of workers left in mine. They were admitted into my other colony after I put a small tub of comb honey in the spot where their hive was. I took the hive away several yards to clear it of moth larvae & most of the bees zoomed right over to the honey. They had none left in their combs :frowning:️ Later in the day I saw many bees on the front face of the other hive, and a steady progression of bees being checked out & allowed in.

In your case since you said there were still frames of honey in this box, you’d smoke the bees well to induce them to eat, then shake them out near another hive, and remove their hive entirely. They’d have a chance to join a healthy colony (probably the original robbers :expressionless:) and you can tidy up & store the good frames left in the freezer for next year.