Building a slatted rack

I have done the same trick to let out the heat and humidity in the roof and found much less bearding on those hive that night. It certainly made a difference. It got me into fitting vents in the roofs.
I have just ordered 4 polystyrene hives for the better insulation which is a big issue for me.
Good to see you back on the forum,
Cheers

Slatted Racks.

I made a few last year and after using a season and swear by them. I do use a partially screened base as well though.
The racks diffuse the light from the screened boards allowing the queen to lay closer to the bottom. The bees can guard the entrance better and I now have no issues with boarding or wax moths.
Maybe just a coincidence but this year the hives are flourishing.
I just made a few more with scrap timber from the tip using my tablesaw. Paint is also reclaimed.

Uploading: P_20200104_102225.jpg…

1 Like

This is not a criticism.

Your design is more a paling rack rather than a slatted rack but they appear to get results from what you are saying.
This is a much simpler construction so others may replicate it more easily than traditional designs.

I have made 3 of this design. Which I got from researching on the net. The slats are 19mm (3/4’) square

2 Likes

Very nice.
Do you like using them?

1 Like

I do. My person belief is that their greatest asset is in helping regulate to temperature and air flow of the hive. Some might disagree but I will always use them with my bees.

3 Likes

Hi @busso. I am a bit confused. Which way is the entrance? If it is on the left side, is this rack made for warm way of frames placement?

The rack sits as is with that wide board to the entrance.ie facing left.
That rack was made when I had this crazy idea of making racks which sit across the lang hive,13 of them in fact and I made the slats orientated the same way. Thats an0ther story.

1 Like

I see. I thought a serious custom job was going on with frames across the Langstroth :crazy_face:

It was. Smaller frames For a Langstroth hive :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, well… I respect your enthusiasm. A lot work was done.

1 Like

Hi @ABB the way @busso has made the rack is the original inventors design, the new cool way is to allow mites and beetles to be chased/drop through with out landing on the slats. I also made mine the traditional way.

The large entrance board is designed to reduce cool air/turbulance and promote the queen laying more eggs lower down and closer to the entrance.

See lnk below for more detailed explanation from Rusty.

Thank you @liteceeper. I didn’t know about perpendicular variant of slats positioning.
I was contemplating the idea of using them some time ago but ended up with Apimaye bottom boards.