Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Cleaning honey frames

My Flow Hive was knocked over by cattle (long story) in mid autumn and was left on the ground for some time before it was found. The bees had gone, so the hive was put in the shedin a plastic garbage bag where it remained for the winter, while waiting to get another colony.
In that time the dirt that had got onto the frames was left uncleaned and mould and wax moth got into the the frame cells. Has anyone got a method of cleaning. I tried washing the frames in warm water, but getting down into the cells is impossible. I pulled apart one of the frames and cleaned the 76 parts and it took me nearly 4 hours to clean with a tile grout brush, did a pretty good job. Has anyone found an easy way of cleaning the frames.

1 Like

High pressure cleaner? Haven’t tried… but I’d think that organic matter would come off easier with little damage to the plastic.

“Search” cleaning Flow frames.

1 Like

I was worried that I might damage the frames. Thanks I will give it a try.

I’m having to clean my frames too. Although it is labor intensive, I’d stick with the brush method. If you use a pressure washer, your frames will be damaged due to the intense force of the spray. I have a pressure washer and I use it to remove paint from the house before I paint it and to clean moss from retaining walls. Personally, there’s no way I would use it to clean my frames (as much as I would like to).

1 Like