First hand view of Wax Moth and Damage

@Rodderick Thanks, you read my mind. irradiating the plastic.

This is why Chef are not supposed to use wooden chopping boards any more, But I hate the plastic boards they ruin the knives really quickly. Bamboo is a good alternative as it has inherent antibiotic properties. For chefs not bee hives

Great suggestionā€¦I didnā€™t know you could get that doneā€¦will have to check it out over here!

1 Like

Dinah will be the one to ask HHH

1 Like

So let me get this straight, if you find AFB, do you still burn the whole shebang, never put bees near again? or part of the hive? maybe all the wood parts & bees. Only get the plastic irradiated? Irradiation has been the option for quite a while, Iā€™m surprised you didnā€™t think of that before stating what appears to be the ONLY option with AFB.

@JeffH - this WAS a post about ā€œWax Mothā€ I did state else where that if you have AFB the whole Shebang needs to be destroyed

Hi Valli, I responded to your comments on post #14 & post #21 on this thread.

Arm and Hammer washing soda? They sell that in boxes at the grocery store

1 Like

Hi Martha. I think Arm and Hammer washing soda may be actually sodium bicarbonate. I expect it gives an ingredient list on the box. Sodium bicarbonate is much gentler than washing soda because itā€™s less alkaline. I use it to clean out the drains in my house. For beeboxes, I use boiling water as a scald and if I need to disinfest frames, I put them in the freezer for 48 hours. This is good for most pests but ineffective against AFB.

1 Like

I had one frame like that and I used my heat gun to kill any residual eggs. All I know is that it grossed me out! Grant the fact I lost all the wax on it but I am new and didnā€™t know if more were going to pop up or re infest my hive. :smiley:

Great pics. thanks for that. Iā€™ve only seen a few lavae on the corflute. Itā€™s a pest worth keeping your eyes on.