Flow Hive 2 and rain!

So you think that guy faked the video, or is it possible that they are trying to sell their heat shaping service? :rofl: :crazy_face:

It wouldn’t be the first fake on you tube, but hey, it is you piece to do with as you like.
My advice is based on personal experience or trying to put a curve into it, which is much less stresses imposed than a bend.
I wonder why the companies like “Bent Plastics” who manufacture polycarbonate go to the expense of buying a heat bending machine if it wasn’t needed.

Hi Dawn. Not a bee keeping question but how do you get a YouTube video inserted???

1 Like

Sooo this thread isn’t supposed to be about materials science but…

“Polycarbonate” refers to a whole family of thermoplastic polymers, many of which are highly flexible and others which are not. In addition, even when working with a polycarbonate that is bendable at room temperature, bending always introduces stress in the material which limits its applications.

So maybe it’s a moo argument and we can get back to talking about bees and honey?

3 Likes

Excellent question! :blush: If you are on a computer, find the video you want to insert here. At the bottom right of video screen area, there is a curving arrow with Share written next to it. Click on that, copy the link that comes up and paste it here.

Thank you for being the adult in the room. I will try to behave now. :blush:

1 Like

The discussion is about keeping rain from getting into a bee hive, a subject that should be discussed on this forum.

1 Like

Obviously it upsets you that I have had expensive personal experience with it, having a ‘cheap shot’ is not becoming of a lady. My advice is based on my own personal experience with it. It seems my advice offends you — so sad.

A lot of the problems are with the design. The large landing pad would be the main flaw. I use flush entrances, solid floors & have my hives tilted forward slightly. We get more that our share of rain without any water issues in the hives.
cheers

2 Likes

I also remember when all hives were flush entrances with no landing board and the bees still came and went as they do today. It makes sense that the bigger the landing pad the more water can sit on it to trickle into the hive, A valid point Jeff.
Cheers

1 Like

I just got my FH2 today and started putting it together…my roof shingles are not completely preassembled, there are two panels for each side of the roof??? So four shingle panels, one ridge cap, front and rear gables and two side rails. In the assembly guide it actually says “2 x shingle panels”…but then the pic shows four??? I’m confused…have I got the FH1 roof?

Hello and welcome to the Flow forum. It does sound like you have a Flow Classic roof, unless Flow have changed the design. I would suggest that you take a photo and e-mail it with your order number to info@honeyflow.com, unless our friendly resident Flow rep, @Freebee2, has a better idea. :wink:

Excellent advice thanks @Dawn_SD
@Kimberley_Taranto we look forward to receiving your email :slight_smile:

1 Like

The tilt is purely to benefit harvesting honey so just level the hive or put a slight tilt the opposite way.

There is no written rule just don’t tilt sideways and you’ll be good to go.

2 Likes

I was walking through the hardware store the other day and saw this:

GrecaClearRidgeCap

With autumn/winter/spring prep in mind and the rain that is coming our way, I bought a piece, flattened out the angle (with a warm clothes iron) cut it into 4 pieces and voila! Awning!

It is pretty thin so I think the existing propolis between the boxes has already mostly sealed it up, but if not, the bees should seal up the small gap pretty fast.

4 Likes

Wow is your hive that close to your swing set? And no problem with bee stings?

No stings while swinging. Sometimes the returning foragers get bumped into but they continue on to the hive.

Now, when the kids do a dance in front of the hive and shake the ground the hive is on they have been stung…

And sometimes there are crawlers in the grass that cause stings when the kids are barefoot…

3 Likes

Very cute kids! I want to god-parent them, even though I am not religious (I do consider myself spiritual, nevertheless).

That is a fantastic photo, thank you for sharing it. The joy of children when observing bees and nature… Well, we could all take lessons from them!

:blush:

3 Likes

My daughter is the one on the right. She was pointing out the color of the pants coming in.

The bench is there because quite a few kids from the neighborhood like to sit and watch. The neighbor needed my daughter’s confidence to be able to sit so close and watch but she obviously figured out how to enjoy it.

My middle child is, so far, the most interested in plants/animals/nature.

3 Likes

Your daughter is gorgeous! So pretty and animated too. Very focussed on her interest.

I love children. They are our future and our hope. I believe that we borrow our planet from our children. My goal is to leave it in better shape than when I was born. So far I am not succeeding, but I am not giving up yet! I don’t have any children of my own, but still, I need to make the world a better place for those who follow. They deserve at least as good a start as we had.

Thank you for the joyful photo! :blush:

4 Likes