Flow Hive and Tung Oil

Thanks @Dawn-SD. I’m not too fussed about how it looks, I was just concerned it might not be as long-lasting as paint. Guess it won’t hurt to give it a go.

The bee cartoons sound fun @Redneck. Hope to see pics when it is done :slightly_smiling:

I have been speaking to a very well versed and respected woodworker who has been making things for 60+ years.

He told me that using Tung oil on something that would be left in the weather was pointless as the oil would just deteriorate. Tung oil should only be used on internal wood surfaces, not external (the websites and cans of Tung Oil that I have seen back this statement up).

If using the wood externally, he said you need something that would handled external conditions such as oils with polyurethane, but if you don’t want to use the polyurethane on a bee hive (i.e. no chemicals) and you have the western red cedar, it would be better to just leave it raw. The wood would silver over time, but, it was very well adapted to external conditions (for example, in North America they often use it for wood shingles untreated).

I’m not trying to make any controversy here, but am interested in your thoughts or experiences?

I thought the hives were some kind of Cyprus? Is that related to the Cedar or more like a pine?

The hives are Western Red Cedar, and don’t technically need any sealant applied to them, as WRC is an amazing material for outdoor applications.

Regarding tung oil, we’ve used it for many years on our hives and our customer’s, and while it’s not going to last for years like paint or other sealants, it does a good job of sealing cracks and aiding in rain run off. It also gives the wood a brilliant luster, and has been used for thousands of years to waterproof boats.

This article is informative: https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/get-more/tung-oil-debunking-myths

3 Likes

Cyprus is a pine so that relates to the pine model. Cedar is a completely different wood.

I decided that I wasn’t going to put anything on the hive (western red cedar), but found some Clapham’s Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish in the cupboard and decided to use that.

It is probably not suited to outdoor use, but I figured it couldn’t hurt and being mostly beeswax, the bees shouldn’t object :slight_smile:

The wax itself is beautiful to work with (it smells lovely) and it made the wood look great too.

1 Like

How much did you use? Should I buy the gallon or would the 32oz be enough?

16oz is enough for 3 coats on one hive. :wink: I have done 4 hives’ worth of Tung Oil now, so I got a feel for it. :smile:

Dawn

I agree with Dawn, 16 oz should be enough. I purchased the 32oz bottle of half and half tung oil and citrus solvent.

Here is my Tung Oil treated Flow hive, with an extra Bee Thinking brood box and a Brushy Mountain slatted rack above the screened bottom board.

5 Likes

How much was the slatted Rack?

I can’t get an 8 Frame one sent to the UK via MannLake

1 Like

$18.50, here is the link:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/8-Frame-ASSEMBLED-Slatted-Rack/productinfo/8672A/

It is very nice quality. I used Tung Oil on it, of course! :smile:

1 Like

I sent them an email to see if I can get 3 sent to me - I have asked Mann Lake several times but the are only doing 10 Frame over here I even asked if they would ship me 3 over but they wont.

1 Like

I wish you all the best. If enough of us want them, maybe Matt @beethinking will consider fabricating them (WRC 8 Frame Lang slatted racks). I would also love a varroa/SHB tray for the standard Bee Thinking SBB. Oh, and a hive top feeder. And a wood slide insert for the SBB to allow vaporizing Oxalic…

Alright, alright, alright… Enough with the shopping list! :smile:

Dawn

I have 2 for my 10 frame Lange And I think the really work a treat @beethinking Matt do you sell such a thing?

There is a good article here " Nov 13, 2009 - Volume 14, Issue 11 — November 2009 — www.inlandbeemail.com " with a how to make one. Looks pretty easy just the spacing to get right. The slats go across not length ways is also interesting.

busso

1 Like

I have one as well. However I didn’t need any additional equipment so mine was technically $32 because I had to pay full shipping. I waffled on it for a few days but I couldn’t figure out anything else I could legitimately pass off through the wife right now so I had to eat the full shipping just on the one item. :unamused:

1 Like

Not yet! right now we’re still trying to keep up with Flow production and haven’t had time to create anything new…hopefully this summer we can work on that.

Hey Tracey!

I bought this and was very pleased. http://amzn.to/1YIdvBe

It’s 100% Pure Tung Oil.

Went with the Tung Oil humid, hot and salty here. Did the bottom board then rethought that but it is aired out well. Happy to see this and only one mistake and it was a dumb thing on our part listen to instruction better. :wink:

2 Likes