Flows full but not 90% capped

Maybe you don’t need to @JeffH, but I have routinely done it in the UK, I think @Dee has done it too, and I know that @Anon uses it here in the US too. :wink: It may be a very old trick, but it is a good one, and it works for me.

1 Like

Well done, however I still think it might be like Grannies secret common cold cure. The bees will finish capping with or without the extra super, I think.

I believe the theory is something like; In order for the bees to make 50 lbs of ripe honey, they first need to be able to store 75 lbs of unripe honey.

1 Like

That’s a good theory Ed, however the bees are gathering & ripening the honey on the go. They (the field bees) even start that process on the return trip. The longer the trip, the riper the nectar/honey is. A lot of honey ripening happens overnight. Hence, that’s the best time to witness the air in - air out strategy they use to ripen the honey.

2 Likes

I can’t really see the need to have the bees cap honey if it is already ripe. Anyhow, in the attached video you will hear the beekeeper say that the ochrophloia (yapunyah) nectar is, “a very low moisture content nectar that’s almost honey”.
In that situation for instance, there would be just no point in waiting for those frames to be capped at 90 per cent, unless for the aesthetics of cut comb or something.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2008/10/23/2399510.htm

That 30 minute clip you often refer to but the name evades me now, it refers to air in and out at the entrance, so that adds value to your recent thinking about having 2 entrances instead of one. If the combined openings were the same width as a singly opening the air flow would be greater with the two openings as there would be no doldrums or vortexes.
Good thinking mate, it makes sense.

1 Like

Hi Peter, it’s “City of Bees”. I was sitting here thinking of another advantage. In particular, this time of year, with most colonies constricting the brood, & the brood being in the middle frames, that means the cold wind doesn’t flow directly onto the brood.

You got it, by George you got it. :grin: Keeping down the draft on the brood is also a valid point, especially in a colder climate. Cheers

1 Like

As of today, I don’t believe in that remedy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I got a cold 10 days ago. Last night both of my eardrums perforated and today I have laryngitis and a chest infection, in addition to being deaf with ear discharge. Granny lied! :sweat: Sunday here today, but I will have to call the doctor tomorrow.

1 Like

Long haul flights can set the stage for a cold like that. Hope you get better soon. Eat some of your honey till the doctor comes.

1 Like

I’m sad to hear that Dawn :frowning: take it easy. Forgive me for not giving your comment a like. A like would mean that I like the fact you are sick. I agree that Granny lied. The 10 day bit of the show was the punch line because a local doctor was interested in finding out her secret recipe for a common cold. Now I think about it, you may have more than just a common cold. Take care, cheers for now

2 Likes

Hey @JeffH, I still have a sense of humour, so maybe I should put an empty super on top of head? It might dry out all the infection?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yes, I agree Dawn :slight_smile:

1 Like

You would wait a long time for that to happen in the US! No home visits here, I will have to go to them tomorrow. :blush:

Feel better Dawn_SD !

I’m no doctor, but I played a doctor back in my younger years :O, so here’s a prescription for a Methylprednisolone and a Z Pak. Pick up some Mucinex while you’re out picking up the scripts, get a good night’s sleep then call me in the morning lol.

1 Like

You are my kind of doc, @Anon! Steroids (I am asthmatic) are a great idea, antibiotics and a decongestant - you should get paid for that advice! :smile: Which pharmacy? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I had something similar a few months ago and then again last month, just couldn’t shake it like I usually do. Doc prescribed all that stuff for me and, much to my wife’s displeasure, I was back working the next day feeling like a rock star! She said it was the Pred.

1 Like

Home visits! That takes me waaay back to when I was sick as a little boy and the doc would show up, smoking his Lucky Strikes while listening to my heartbeat and taking my temp :open_mouth:

See, he was a smart doctor!

4 Likes

I like that one Dawn!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Sure hope u start drying out soon. Thanks for your good advice esp when u feel so bad!

Interesting to read the advice from the NSW government regarding 75 per cent capped frames…

1 Like