Hi Dan, your closing statement is the focus of my latest observation. @skeggley There is no propolis inside the flow mechanism to hinder the flow of honey, so we can rule that out.
Back to Dan, upon inspecting the frames, I also discovered that the bees aren’t removing the caps in order to empty the honey out. I guess in time they would have removed the caps if they were hungry enough. But I was keen to see if there was any propolis inside the frames. HOWEVER, MY LATEST OBSERVATION.:- In the end I started removing the cappings with a putty knife by going under the caps. That’s when I noticed that a lot of caps were well out from the moving mechanism, but a lot of caps were right on top of the moving mechanism. It’s the caps that are right on top or very close to the moving mechanism that, coupled with being wet wouldn’t stand a chance of holding together & not leaking externally.
I can clearly see how that the caps in the areas where the comb is built well out would hold together (maybe not wet cappings).
I see this all the time while extracting honey. Sometimes the bees build one comb out full. While at the same time the opposite comb is built shallow. It’s just something that bees do.
Even by using 9 frames in 10 frame supers, I still get some frames where the cappings are concaved. In finding them, naturally the opposing frames will be more convexed than normal.
In a perfect beekeeping world, by using 9 frames in a 10 frame honey super, every side should be convexed & easy to decap. But that’s not always the case.
My conclusion is that a lot of the flooding could stem from uneven comb buildup, some full, some shallow, coupled with wet caps.