How to encourage bees to use the Flow Frames

I live in Upstate New York State in Cazenovia. I got a 6 frame flow hive with one bottom hive body in the spring of 2016. Moved a strong over winter hive into the smaller flow hive and may have harmed the queen. They left slowly over the next 2 months. I got 2 nucs and they one nuc took to the hive well. The other nuc went into the old ten frame hive. Got two gallons of honey with honeyflow from a nuc started In July. Got 2 nice supers full of honey from the old hive. Despite enclosing the hives, the honey flow hive didn’t make it. Needed a second hive body to store enough for the winter. The surviving old hive got a 7 frame honey flow super. They never went into it. I got 2 more nucs in July 2017 and put one in the 6 frame flow with a second hive body and the other in a new 7 frame flow with 2 new hive bottoms. This year the new hives went up into the flow super and made decent honey. I think the hive wont go into a flow super if it has filled normal supers in the past. Anyone have a similar experience?

1 Like