Friday 23rd. Roof deck nucleus with Hawaiian queen doing well and had plenty of eggs. Closed up nucleus and closed off entrance with a screen. Moved nucleus back down to main hive.
Aggressive nucleus - two or three queen cells, all of which were destroyed. Single brood box main hive, about 4 or 5 queen cells, all carefully destroyed. All frames re-inspected to be sure.
Newspaper construct designed and built. We now had 2 four frame nuclei (one with a queen) and one queenless main hive brood box to recombine. Rather than combining one nucleus at a time, or making some nuc to 8-frame adapters, we wanted to combine them all at once. So I made a newspaper divider to separate the 2 nuclei in the same box, then I stapled a layer of newspaper onto the bottom of the box:
Very Heath Robinson, and entirely consistent with normal beekeeping methods.
We then put the empty newspaper box on top of the queenless brood box, and loaded the nuclei carefully into the space either side of the newspaper divider. Lid back on, closed up for the weekend.
Monday 26th, very quick inspection to check on the newspaper etc. All newspaper completely removed, and eggs plus young larvae galore, with no queen cells seen on cursory inspection. Seems like a successful merge and eventual queen introduction.
Phew, exhausting, as @Dee rightly said!