I have been saying this all along

But it is things like using good practice, why we have good practice, how bugs grow, scrupulously clean equipment and containers - Flow will make the honey less “played with” but jars and other utensils still need to be kept and stored correctly - I would hate for people to say “honey is antibacterial” and then put it in a filthy jar (that looks clean) using dirty badly cleaned cloths, tools, buckets etc

Starting with a good product is one thing - giving people food poisoning due to incompetence and lack of understanding is still paramount

Heavens all you need is to put your honey into clean jars.
Open box from supplier; quick wash in a soapy sink/ rinse and dry in the oven/ lids straight on/. store in a cupboard till needed. Dishwasher if you have one, at least they come out dry. It’s not rocket science. You don’t need a degree in hygiene science.
What you do with honey to be consumed at home is up to you. I eat bits of bee…but not poo :wink:

Extracted honey goes through a sieve hanging from the spinner straight into a honey bucket with a gate. It’s left till a convenient time to jar… as required. Left this way it does keep forever and if it crystallises it’s much more easily dealt with than if it’s already jarred and labelled.

1 Like

Don’t get hung up about it.
Have you ever heard of anybody getting food poisoning from eating honey?
Your local chippy is much more dangerous

I read recently that you will only be allowed to put Honey in Fresh jars from Food suppliers soon

Still all need to be cleaned and kept hygienically clean!!

I thought that was the law already…shows what I know
Difficult to police though

Having worked in Kitchens since I was 13 I know what goes on - at least here in the UK all food handlers need to have completed or training to do a basic hygiene certificate.

I think you are being a little dramatic.
You are talking to a bunch of hobby beekeepers here.
I’m sure we are all clean :slight_smile:
The commercial guys sell bulk honey to packers where different rules apply

1 Like

I’m not saying people are not clean I’m saying the equipment needs to be - but the personal hygiene is important.

I just don’t want to see a bunch of headlines about bee keepers poisoning people due to lack of knowledge of food production - even on a small scale - it is a basic part of the learning - playing down the hazards you may as well play down the hazards of bee stings - some die not many but deaths occur.

Unfortunately we have the information and research science and all that but Darwin had a theory - I would hate to think bee keepers have to face tighter reforms due to a careless persons incompetence.

I get the feeling that there’s a lot of preaching to the converted going on here.

2 Likes

It’s not the converted I’m worried about!!!

You seem to be on a crusade to convert those that aren’t. There won’t be any on this forum. It’s peopled by hobby beekeepers experienced and not experienced with the odd larger beekeeper offering sound advice.

1 Like

I’m happy to revive this topic, & seeing as the forum has been a bit quiet lately, I thought I’d reply to my comment re: 2 rats for the price of one.

Well I had a first the other night, 3 rats for the price of one. About a week earlier I caught a mother with one daughter, the following night, another daughter, then the other night, what looks to be the last of the litter, two girls & a boy.

Because I’m cutting them up after removing the skin, head & intestines, to feed to the magpies, I take note of pregnancies. The mother with the daughter, was pregnant again, with 7 embryo. That combined with the fact that 4 of the 5 juveniles were girls makes you realize how quickly their numbers can grow, given the right circumstances.

My previous capture about 4 months ago was probably only 1/2 grown with 5 embryo inside her…

Sadly I don’t have any photos. Anyway, my strategy has meant that no sweet corn, or sweet potatoes have been taken over the last 2 years. I let my guard down & lost a bit the previous year.

How do you manage to catch the adult rats? I can only catch the younger ones that aren’t world wise yet.

Hi Kristal, did you see my live rat trap in the photo in the comment that I replied to? Anyway I can copy & paste it. I had to do something serious about catching rats quite a few years ago because they were demolishing my sweet corn before I got to pick them. A honey customer lent me his live rat trap which worked really well, so I went out & bought one myself. This is the one I bought.

I sprinkle wild bird mix on the floor near the bait, which is also wild bird mix set in flour & water dough on one side of cardboard, so that they can only eat it from one side, which moves the wire in the right direction to activate the trap. I also sprinkle a few seeds outside the trap, in order to whet their appetite, enough to draw them inside.

This trap could be more of a possum trap, which I have caught, as well as a large neighbors cat. You can purchase traps online that are purpose built for rats.