I had to make an fast decision during some bad weather to avoid swarming and watching my bees unable to have a safe harbor to swarm to. So here’s what I did and I’m worried about it. Last Wednesday my bees flew out of the hive like a swarming behavior and balled up on a tree for a while then flew back to the hive and bearded then went back into the hive when it began to rain. So, I have no idea what really happened but felt since I wanted to do splits this season to avoid swarming I had a window of weather opportunity on Friday.
I went into the hive and discovered 2 frames of capped queen cells along the bottom of entire frames. I was trying to start my 4th hive and I also suffered one hive loss this winter much to my concerted efforts towards successful winterizing. So doing my first hive splits was the goal though the weather has been cold and raining off an on.
Since I was trying to head off more bee lossis here is what I did on an ill prepared day. I took 4 frames out of the the bulging with bees hive including the 2 frames of queen cell madness and placed it in a new flow 2 hive along with syrup and pollen patties. I did check to make sure the queen was not on the frames but I could have missed her even with a close inspection. I could have also missed a potential virgin queen. So I’m worried about the hive I am trying to start.
To the hive I robbed from I put fresh foundation on the outsides of the nucleus and placed a syrup feeder on the top of the hive.
So I’m worried about the unintended potential problems I may have caused myself. I don’t know if I did anything right. I need to know the pros and cons of my actions. I also need to start another hive out of 2 of my 3 original hives hoping to successfully start a 4th hive.
Martha and her bee madness