Lures and Traps For Catching Bees

Hello All,

My Flow Hive will arrive in the UK prior to spring 2016.

I want to lure a swarm to move in as early as possible.

Has anyone had any success with a product from Thornes called “Bee Charm”.

It smells like lemmon grass and recommends to lightly spray 30 cm away from the hive walls and frames. Repeat every eight days. It says it contains Listea Cubeba oil.

Any useful advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Simon

Thanks Dexter do you know anyone in the UK that can supply a Langstrough nuc? As a back up plan

I do. Where are you?
Also, lots advertised if you google but you can’t go far wrong with Paynes.
I have quite a success with my bait hives every year.
40Litre capacity, 5cm entrance near bottom anointed with lemongrass oil, solid floor.
1 old brood frame (beg from a fellow beek) rest of the frames I have with starter strips and wired. You don’t want a swarm making their own design from the roof.
Starting furthest from the entrance I put starter strip, brood frame then all the rest.
If you read about how scouts examine a potential home, flying from corner to corner, I think putting frames of foundation might fool them into thinking the space is too small.
Place on flat roof a good fifteen feet up.

@Smoser Simon I’m In Solihull are you near Leeds? I’m going to put up bait hives in the spring. There is always Patrick Laslett has hives advertised often in season - he acts as an intermediary - Not sure how it works or how reliable.

I would tend to get bees from a known producer or one that has been inspected.

Have you joined Flow Hive UK group?

Hi guys thanks for the advice. I always enjoy reading your posts.

I checked out Paynes Bee Farms £225 for a Langstroth Nuc that would be available in June 2016. I think I’ll stick with the £8 can of Bee Charm for now.

I’m in Shipley not far from Leeds and have completed my training with Bradford Bee Keeping Association.

Keep up the great posts guys I have learnt a lot just from this forum alone.

Valli I wil check out the Facebook page where perhaps you might have photos of you flow hive, although perhaps not much to see now it’s getting cold.

Cheers

Simon

1 Like