Making Honey, Happy Bees - 2 Flow Hives occupied now - Diamond and Crystal are coming

Yes I will.
I remain to be convinced.
Because I am surrounded by so many other beekeepers and their drones I will have to re-queen from LASI rather than raise any of my own; not ideal. The chap in charge of the whole project, Prof Francis Ratnieks, reckons that even open mated to non hygienic drones the next generation retains some hygienic behaviour but he is unable to back this up with any solid evidence. He refuses to explain where his original stock came from though oddly one of his research fellows, who has now left the project I think, did bring 100 hives with him. I donā€™t know anything about their temperament either so I might be skating on thin ice.
LASI assert that you can control varroa with one application of oxalic vapour in the total absence of brood. Because broodless periods vary year by year and hive by hive they suggest opening up in mid December, destroying all brood and then sublimating.
There is also the issue of bees spending so much time fussing and checking over capped brood that foraging behaviour changes. ā€¦so little known, so many variables.
Perhaps we should all stand back and let the bees and varroa fight it all out.

1 Like

May the best bee genes win, and may it be within my beekeeping lifetime, please! :smile:

One reason not to go culling the Drones - If enough of those drones Survive and mate then the hygienic behaviour will eventually become more the norm - Culling Drones will subjugate this ability

Yes but only the hygienic drones. I reckon there must be a million of my neighbours ā€¦non-hygeinic drones to each of hygienic ones-to-be

Hi Gerald, I hope you enjoyed your chicken/tuna n veggie noodle casserole. Would you believe that the day I saw this photo & spotted that little white stool you have in the background, Wilma came home with one. We reckon itā€™s the the best five bucks weā€™ve spent since I bought my Perfect Pocket Hive Tool. I told her I saw one exactly the same as that on Geraldā€™s photo this morning.

I have a hygienic queenā€¦I bought a virginā€¦she is now mated with local drones so it will be interesting to compare how much the hygienic application is diluted to yours with your local drones.

2 Likes

freudian slip ? :wink:

Are you going to test yours?

Yesā€¦I think we just pierce the cappings in a square and see if they clear them outā€¦or is it something else?

Yes thatā€™s what I will do but not this year. Iā€™ll just get them to build up to a decent size for winter. Treat them with the rest of the hives and see next year. The pros use liquid nitrogen. It kills the brood without damaging the cappings thus giving the bees a visual clue there is something amiss.

We could do it using the tube of liquid nitrogen you get with wart treatmentā€¦what do you think?

HHH what about something like ā€œBurn Coldā€ The stuff you spray on burns and sunburns??

You could put a cookie cutter around the spot and test it - and not expensive

I think the idea is to give no indication that anything is amiss and wait to see if the bees can detect a problemā€¦then clean it out.
I know the stuff you meanā€¦but it does have a smell.

Not really it can be found in supermarkets or Chemists

Going back to drone productionā€¦I have a colony which makes lots of drone comb. I have removed 2 frames already just to give space for the queen to lay workers. I expect at the next inspection I will remove another frame. My plan was to requeen but our Regional Bee Inspector didnā€™t think she was a drone layer. There is lots of worker brood in the hive. It was interesting about the signs of a drone layer. The comb tends to be wavy and the drone brood scattered across the comb instead of in solid patches.
Whereas I donā€™t remove drone brood as part of intergrated control of varroaā€¦I do sometimes lift out some sealed drone brood to check for varroa infestation.
I can see why removing some of the drone comb would help in SHB control. All the drones hang out on the outer combs and would do nothing the chase out the SHB. In my hive you can see this as there are so many drones. I will requeen before the winter.

Iā€™m Pleased to say Diamondā€™s Nuc is Queen Right. There are Eggs and Larvae

Bees have a threshold for drones and for drone comb. If you keep taking out, they will keep making more until either they get to the threshold, enough drones drift from other hives or the season changes the threshold for drones. Itā€™s a waste f resourcesā€¦

1 Like

Drone laying queens lay in their normal patternā€¦just drone
Laying workers have a scattered pattern

Where are you re-queening from?
I think I have seen the last of my Buckies. My one remaining queen is dead and the hive is re-queening itself. I toyed with getting another but I might just let them get on with it

Any brood yet from your LASI?

I have two nucs made up with mine and they are both out and laying.Iā€™m feeding store frames till the brood gets going. Fingers crossed for weather for another two queens that need mating. Storms are crashing about over the whole UK, especially the Midlands

1 Like

That reminds me of Peak Queen Cell numbers :slight_smile:

I thought you were in Wales? Yes we have storms here

I found out there is a place nearby that has Bucckies - May need to investigate