My first beehive! FH2

Here’s where I read about the nutritional benefits of algae for bees. They sure seem to love my algae infested pond water! Microalgae food for honey bees -- ScienceDaily

1 Like

ouch! Yes, life in the backyard with a beehive is definitely different than it was before the beehive. I put lavender essential oil and a dab of honey on my first sting and it stopped the pain immediately. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that the nutrients in the water is why the bees like it so much! This pond is really a watering hole for the bees, with a few fish to keep the mosquitos at bay. I’m gong to try to find a middle ground somehow so it doesn’t completely take over the pond! The bees really love to climb up and down the stems of rush, so that can be their playground with a pad of algae underneath.

1 Like

Did an inspection today. Spotted her highness wondering around. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m always watching for the bull frogs to make a move on my bees. :crossed_fingers: so far I haven’t seen them try feasting on them.

At least you don’t have these cane toads!

2 Likes

They finally found part of the supply drop. :partying_face:
Or is it a really clever hover fly?

It’s definitely another hover fly. :joy: holy cow those things are crafty.

Looks like I’m a 10%er :joy: go figure. At least it doesn’t hurt. :man_facepalming:

First sting ever in your life?

I got hit in the face by some red wasps once when I was 8 on a roof with my moms ex-husband. He was a roofer. Other than that, no other stings. :grin:

Just finished reading about the differences of wasp and bee venom. :exploding_head::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: amazing!

Did you take Motrin, Alleve or Aspirin? NSAIDs like those can make the swelling worse in some people.

:wink:

1 Like

Hahaha. Nahh. I’m all natural on the inside. No medicines. It isn’t that bad. Just a little itchy. I chewed up some white foot and put it on it when it happened. Almost instant relief. :raised_hands::grin:

1 Like

So, you should be careful with the next few stings to see how your reactions go and at least don’t hesitate to take some Benadryl (diphenhydramine)… Better living through chemistry.

2 Likes

Always good to try low key remedies before big guns, but do keep an eye out & don’t mess around…I also swell up & get itchy from bee stings - but this helps a lot:

https://international.bite-away.com/en/index.php

1 Like

Still a little itchy but not red anymore. :grin::crazy_face: hoping i build up some good antibodies over time. :raised_hands:🧙‍♂

1 Like

Cut the bottom off of one of my cedar boxes so that it measures 6 and 5/8" for a medium super. Once they fill the 2 brood boxes I plan to add it on for their winter stores. Don’t wanna have to feed, ever. :crossed_fingers: it works well. My mentor thought it was a great plan since our winters are so warm these days which brings the bees out more before nectar starts flowing.

1 Like

Will you put the super on after they fill the flow hive? This will be our first winter in about 4 months and just trying to be prepared. Do you also leave both brood boxes and the super on for the winter or combine your brood boxes with the super on top?

Did you plant in a specific pattern or toss the seeds in and let whatever grows grow? Your garden is beautiful :slight_smile: