"North East USA" Ladies & Gentlemen, "Start Your Engines"

Oh wow, that must have been scary! Glad she’s on the mend :sweat_smile::tulip:

1 Like

I put my flow frames on one of my hives yesterday. Last year the bees used a lot of propolis to seal the flow frames instead of wax so I had to blow them out with some air after opening and closing them a few times. I might have to filter my honey a little so it isn’t cruchy with propolis.

Excite to have the flow frames on a hive though. Such a huge advantage when the hive had lots of left over honey from the winter. They only had half a box to fill.

Things are blooming pretty good around here :grin:

4 Likes

I was able to check these grafts today and I got 10 capped queen cells due to emerge on Sunday. On Thursday or Friday, I’ll need to move them into queenless mating nucs.

1 Like

First swarm of the season. We installed it into my new horizontal bee sanctuary:

3 Likes

Loved it. How did you persuade them to accept your new hive, other than the fabulous wheelbarrow?!!! :smile:

I have starter strips of some rogue honeycomb attached to the mini-frames (scroll up to post 29 I believe).

Tonight I will move them to their permanent location. I’m looking forward to the quick cut comb honey it should produce because I don’t have to wait until an entire deep/medium frame is drawn out to harvest :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gotcha, thank you! I would be fascinated to hear how that goes. I am also very jealous of your lovely yellow angels, having recently handled black devils! :smile:

I could bring you some next year. I’m headed to Portland, OR in April via Amtrak and may take a trip along the CA coast as well. I wonder if they’d let me bring bees aboard lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My husband and I would love to buy you a drink if you get down to San Diego. :blush:

1 Like

Yesterday we made 10 splits. We gave each split a capped queen cell from the grafting we did 11 days ago. We took all the resource frames (brood, pollen, honey, and nurse bees) from the two hives we rescued last summer at an abandoned property.

I’m really liking the horizontal bee sanctuary with it’s mini-frames: The swarm from Thursday is drawing it out nicely and I have a separate box of frames sitting atop a double deep Langstroth hive. They are drawing wax and filling it with honey really fast:

3 Likes

That’s a nice looking design Ed - small squares look easy to handle & fast for bees to anchor comb to.

2 Likes

Slap in the face… Had to work today. Got home, hopped on the 4wheeler to go down and check on the bees. 1 of my hives swarmed on a branch 6ft off the ground. Drove back to grab the nuc and as soon as I got back they were in the air off into the woods… missed 'em by 1 minute! In fishing terms, “the one that got away!” At least I know good genetics are out there somewhere!

Too bad :frowning:

I’m 3 for 5 thus far :slight_smile:

She’s 21 days premature, has a slim chance at survival but is now taking the bottle after a tube feeding. This is from our friends goat but she doesn’t have time to sit with her 24/7.
We’re giving her oxygen therapy each hour for 10 minutes and have plenty of colostrum available that we froze from last years babies.
She’s made it through day 1.

2 Likes

What a sweet little thing :heart_eyes: and the baby goat is pretty cute too :blush:

Hope all goes well, she sure doesn’t lack for love!

1 Like

I was looking at a swarm yesterday and this lady was the first bee I saw when I looked at the cluster. Easy pickin’s from there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice catch, Ed. How is the kid (baby goat) doing? :wink:

She passed away quietly in my wife’s arms :frowning:

Three weeks premature is just too significant for an animal with a 5 month gestation.

Thanks for asking.

1 Like

Aww, poor little thing. :disappointed_relieved: She was lucky that you tried and gave her comfort though.

I used to be a Neonatologist, so prematurity was my every day job. The most premature human we ever saved was just over 17 weeks premature and weighed 350 grams. Less than a jar of honey! :astonished: She actually did very well and is now attending a normal school. However, we had a heap of technology and staff to make that happen. Sometimes all you can do is keep the patient comfortable and let nature do its thing. :mask:

2 Likes

Thanks Dawn,

I wish I knew what else we could have done. We kept her warm, fed her the colostrum, oxygen therapy. That’s all we had at our disposal.

2 Likes