Pitch for optium usage?

Hey how far back to you guys set up your hive in angle and pitch? I went to take another frame today and AGAIN a hive soaked in honey. I did the whole cracked only a little then a little more… but in the end it was still all over the hive. and I got maybe 29-30 oz in the jar from one frame.

I am wondering if I need the hive to be leaning back more?

Thoughts

Hi Chris don’t crack open the next section in the frame if the tube is still more than about half full. Depending on the temperature it may take 30mins or a few hours to drain the whole frame. The honey can back up and flow out through uncapped cells.
We only have the hive at the angle that it comes built with from flow hive. Our base that the flowhive sits on is level.
I have attached a photo showing the maximum I would let it flow out at.
Good luck-
Gary

2 Likes

This is super helpful. Thank you. The first time i took honey I cracked the frame all the way and saw so much honey pouring out the front of the hive. I was so scared I killed the queen or damaged the hive. So i waited, did a lot of research etc. then I did crack only 25% on this one, then 50% after about 3-4 mins, then 75% after 4-5 more mins… but i guess i didn’t wait long enough. This time it was not a TON of honey but enough to make me stop.

That is when i decided to try and find out if my pitch is off…

I love your hose set up, i may steal that idea.

2 Likes

I agree with @Gaz, opening in small sections and waiting for the tube to empty really helps a lot. Flow’s recommendation is to tilt the super backwards by 2.5 to 5 degrees. You can get a cellphone app to help with judging that angle (I use Bubble Level on my iPhone), but I think it isn’t really critical, as long as you have enough of an angle and let the frames drain in sections.

1 Like

As usual @Dawn_SD your advice is spot on. Thank you so much. I will try again tomorrow when it is not raining and we will see what happens.

1 Like

One more thought, make sure the Flow tube is in the hole the correct way up. If you don’t have the Flow logo on the upper side of the tube, the lip will not block the channel leak point properly. I painted the logo with nail polish on my Flow tubes to make it very obvious which way up it is, even if I don’t have my glasses on. :blush:

ohhhhh dang, i wonder if i did that all wrong. that little tabby thing goes at 6 o’clock right?

Absolutely correct. :blush:

you guys all rock here!!!

Look at this;

With my new set up and opening the hive slowly, i mean really slow… absolutely no leakage back into the hive!

On top of that, I only got to two frames today:
IMG_20170809_160021

but an amazing 160 oz of honey, and that is minus the jar weight! Crazy.

That is like 1.5 GALLONS of honey. And man is it good.

Thank you so much for all your help.

2 Likes

You have me confused about the 1.5 gallons. 160ozs = 10 pounds, 10 pounds = roughly 4.5kilos, 4.5 kilos of honey = roughly 3 liters. 1 us gallon = 3.785 liters.

Also 4.5 kilos sounds about right coming out of 2 frames.

Mainly cause I am a moron and did the math wrong… but yes you are right. Sorry and thanks for clarifying

LOL, anyway it’s nice looking honey, cheers :slight_smile:

It tastes like nothing i have had before. It has heavy floral notes with a clover after flavor. It is really light but really sweet. I wish we could share it with the group here.

1 Like

one thing: for what it’s worth- I don’t think there is any problem with increasing the angle further than that built into the flow base. The honey flows out faster still- and less is left over in the extraction channel at the bottom- and less chance of leaks.

When I have the time- I set up my harvest bucket with tube- and I crack the frames in increments. I set a timer on my watch and leave the hive for at least 30 minutes between increments making the harvest stretch right over an afternoon. After I make the last crack- I leave it to drain for several hours to get out every last drop I can… If you have the time and are nearby- there is nothing to lose with stretching the process right out.

2 Likes

awesome advice
thank you!