Planting forage & nectar flow for my area

Hi all,
I have recently built a new property with very little plants out the back. My question is, are there any particular plants that the bees like/dislike? We would like to prep the backyard for the bees. I live near Newcastle N.S.W. and wonder if there are any specific plants (preferably natives) that would work in favour of the bees. I have passionfruit vine, mango and orange trees planted as well as a few native banksia trees. We’re thinking of running some sort of climber around our entire fence line. Any suggestions?

1 Like

8 days ago⬆️⬆️ azzkell posted a link in this topic regarding Australian foraging plants. It looks very useful.

2 Likes

Yes it’s brilliant. Very good info. Thanks!

1 Like

Star Thistle has a long history with beekeepers and has long been regarded as one of the best honey plants, but it is invasive. I bought three red star thistle (centaurea atropurpurea) from the Carpathian region from a local nursery that specializes in unusual species. Star thistle thrives in poor soil and bees love it.
Here’s a handy link if anyone is interested: http://www.honeytraveler.com/single-flower-honey/star-thistle-honey/

2 Likes

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#planting

Think in terms of filling the gaps in the nectar flow. Early, Late. Drought…

“Invasive” is just another word for “bee plant”. Seriously, though, “Invasive” is literally another word for successful and successful plants bribe the bees…

2 Likes

Hi all,
Last month, I visited beekeepers organization in my country (Indonesia).

I went there to ask many question about beekeeping (because I’m new to beekeeping). I have an idea to placed bee hives near flower garden or plant nursery, so I ask the expert, “if I placed the bee hives near flower garden is that good?” he answer “yes, of course, there will be plenty of nectar in that location, the owner will be happy too.” Next question is, “if the owner of flower garden used pesticide, is that safe for bee?” he then answer, “bee are smart animals, they will understand which ones are safe or harmful.”
What do you guys think about that?

1 Like

I don’t know how much I agree with that. Different insects are affected differently by pesticides but by definition a pesticide that can be easily detected and avoided is a very poor product. If a bee can avoid it why wouldn’t the other insects it is targeting?

1 Like

Hi Michel, Sebenarnya, lebih baik kalau lebah tidak ditaruhi dekat tanaman atau bunga yang sudah diobati dengan pesticides. Even though they are smart, bees may still feed on the nectar of plants treated with pesticides. And many pesticides cause disease in bees.
If the plants have not been treated then yes, placing the hives near a plant nursery or flower garden should ensure lots of honey.
However the honey will have a mix of flavours. It will not be a ‘single’ flavour like the one in your picture - madu rambutan.
To product a single flavour honey the bees need to be placed where they feed only from a single type of plant or tree.

2 Likes

Thank you @adagna & @Australianhoney for the responds, yes I’m afraid it will cause disease for my bees.

Actually it’s not a serious problem for me, I’ve read a story of famous beekeeper in Indonesia. He went to Malang (Malang is the second largest city in East Java province, Indonesia. The city is famous for its cool temperature, also known as a producer of apples in Indonesia) and placed some apis mellifera hives there, unfortunately most of his bee dead because high amount of pesticide that the plantation used. It make me afraid to produce single flavor honey, I think produce multiflora is the suitable for me right now. What do you think guys?

[quote=“Australianhoney, post:48, topic:122”]
Sebenarnya, lebih baik kalau lebah tidak ditaruhi dekat tanaman atau bunga yang sudah diobati dengan pesticides
[/quote] Hey! you speak bahasa Indonesia, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@michang selamat pagi - that’s as much as I remember - G’day. single forage of a crop is not the reason for the colony collapse - if you know a food producer uses pesticides then that is part the problem.

The problem with single crops is more a matter of “starvation” through lack of diversity of food source - just like us, the bees need a balanced diet. I’ll try to explain…

For instance - if you eat nothing but rabbit - then you will die of starvation (fact), because there is not enough diverse proteins from all the essential amino acids, using a mixture of foods gives a more balanced diet and ensures that there is sufficient essential amino acids and the body can produce the non-essential ones by synthesis. This is why vegetarians should eat balanced proteins such as - egg on toast, cereal and milk, beans in toast, apple pie. By mixing the protein foods together, all the essential amino acids are present and the body can make the non-essential ones itself.

… so Bees foraging on one crop can create this problem - also some crops have a short flowering season and the Bees will need to be moved to accommodate this. Stress from constant moving, single crop pollen, pesticides, poor hygiene, colony mixing/drifting, all of these contribute to CCD

Sorry that is the best way I could explain it - hope that makes sense

1 Like

Hi @Valli good evening (selamat sore), have you ever been to Indonesia before? :smile:

Wow, new interesting information for me, I just know it! never found it in my beekeeper book (Indonesia version).
Thank you for your clear and helpful explanation.

Yes, I understand and once again, thank you for the explanation :smile:

@michang My Dad and brother learned Indonesian at night class/school I picked up a few phrases. I passed through Indonesia in March and April this year - love the food

@Valli oh really? that’s great!
Someday I will visit England :smile:

1 Like

Planting for Australia

http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/planting-for-a-bee-friendly-garden-australia/2570?u=faroe

3 Likes

Invasive, refers to a species of plant that is actively taking over or damaging an ecology. Privet is an example of an invasive plant which in some areas of Australia a dangerous weed which prevents indigenous plants from being able to compete and actively changes the micro climate to prevent other plants from being able to recover, further it is damaging to some fauna. Invasive species reduce diversity, and if we know anything about the environment we know DIVERSITY is key.
All of the attention bees are receiving presently is brilliant but it also serves to remind us that all aspects of our environment are interlinked, change one small thing & the repercussions flow on through many levels.
I would ask everyone to be considerate & aware in all their actions connected to place, where ever you call home. Everything you do has an impact, it doesn’t mean being a vigilante simply being aware and engaged with the actions you take. There really are no excuses now, we have so much information at our fingertips.

1 Like

Hi This is the Captain ,
Mono culture crops like almonds , need bee pollination . MONOCOLTURES CAN knock bees around and can cause stress in bee colonies through lack of variety in the pollen and insufficient nectar . Trials of mixed flowering plants in almond groves have indicated improved health for the bees . Huge bee population growth in this time powers the colony which in turn increases pollination power . Pollen supplements can help where there are dietary shortfalls .
6 x weeks or so on almonds is a good money earner for some beekeepers however disease can spread when multi-source bee populations mix in the same orchards . I would like to encourage orchardists to plant multi-floral sequential flowering plants and trees with a view to continuous seasonal flowering of as many bee friendly plants as possible .
I personally have just started growing bee friendly tube stock for bee clubs , landcare groups and anyone else who wants plants . I have 6 x varieties of leptospermums including Both new Zealand and Australian MANUKA ( scorioporum ) plus other excellent nectar / pollen plants and trees .
We can all make a difference , I pass the 10,000 plant mark soon .
Gorilla planting in the middle of the day with a high vis jacket on makes you invisible ! or official looking anyway , try it in a park or nature strip in your bee forage area - its a bit naughty but fun , just the way I like it !!! cheers - The Captain .

2 Likes

Hi Captain brilliant work! I have a prime site ready for guerilla gardening, vacant for 15 months & ongoing. Would love some plants & help to green over deserted building /demolition site. Any ideas?

Have you got rosebay willow herb where you are? It’s called fireweed in some countries. It grows well on derelict sites and is a great nectar source.

We don’t that I’m aware of, however our property borders a National Park & we have to be careful of what we put in the garden as there are presently serious problems with escaped, introduced species of garden plants which are taking over habitat of endemic species. Particularly native orchids & the smaller wildflowers & shrubs. If anyone is interested or concerned about the plants they are using (Australia) this document is a useful reference as a starting point.
http://awsassets.wwf.org.au/downloads/sp092_list_invasive_garden_plant_4apr06.pdf

1 Like

Not on the list

I notice that there are a few Rubus (blackberry) on the list though not R plicatus, the English bramble. In the countryside we rely heavily on that for a crop.

1 Like