Planting forage & nectar flow for my area

Will the flow frames handle the honey?

Hiya Dee, from what Iā€™ve read, heard and understand itā€™s highly unlikely the bees will be mono cropping with all the other nectar sources available so itā€™ll be a mongrel honey anywayā€¦ Iā€™ve not heard of anyone having issues with honey removal from flow frames yet. Time will tell.

THat really all depends on how much you plant, and how much nectar those plants produce. A large little-leaf Linden (basswood) can produce a whole super of honey in no time. And likely that honey would be predominantly of that one nectar source, because they are such prolific nectar producers. If it is only a few of them and they donā€™t produce a ton of nectar you probably donā€™t have to worry much.

Hi everyone,

I have been told that nectar from fennel can taint honey. Does anyone here know if this is true. We have a lot of wild fennel growing in the area.

Cheers

What do you mean by taint? As in flavor or something else?

Yes, the flavour. Presumably affect the taste in a negative way.

I suppose it depends on if you feel that it is a bad thing. Doing a quick google search I found several sources that say that it gives it a slight anise seed flavor. Which to me would be a nice thing, but to someone else would be bad. Personally I would look forward to that flavor. One site said it was mainly used for coughs which might lead me to believe it gives it a medicinal taste. Either way save it for cough season, mix it with some whiskey and lemon juice.

Yes, I did the same google search. It didnā€™t specifically say that the Fennel Honey was natural (from bees) or if they added fennel oil to honey to sell for coughs and colds.

Iā€™d really like to know a definitive answer to this because it will motivate me to do the ā€˜weedingā€™. Donā€™t want tainted honey!

If you are worried about it just cut the flowers off and hang inside of a paper bag to dry . The pollen will fall out and then you can sell it for $35/oz($560/lb) 31xā€™s the price of the honey you get from the bees. Then the bees wonā€™t taint the honey and you get some delicious fennel pollen to cook with. I love the stuff, and have used it to sell $35-40 a plate entrees in the past.

1 Like

Iā€™m talking about wild fennel. Is this the same as the fennel used in food prep?

I believe and I could very well be wrong, that most fennel pollen comes from wild fennel not cultivated fennel. Most plants take of bitter notes when they are allowed to go to seed/flower, so most if not all cultivated fennel would be harvested before that happened.

Simon,

I like Buckwheat honey. Very dark n robust flavor with a hint of almost molasses to it. Itā€™s not for the weak of heart. :blush:. Gerald

I spread a pound of buckwheat seed last weekend along with a pollinator blend of seed.

Iā€™m hoping that something sprouts before the chickens undo all my workā€¦stupid chickens :rage:

2 Likes

Yah Bobby,

My four ladies are in constant motion scratching n turning up parts of my yard. Any seed, bug or worm has not much chance except my veggie garden that is completely fenced ! But i love the fresh cackle berries/eggs ! Good luck bro ! :wink:. Gerald.

1 Like

I had put a 24-inch fence up around the areaā€¦ and Iā€™ve also taken note that a 24-inch fence is insufficient.

Bobby, I had to install 5ā€™ to stop mine
ā€¦ Hoping yours are shorter chickens or near sighted :rooster: ladies ! :blush: ā€¦

Old upside-down bakery trays or anything that stands a bit off the ground and allows light and water through but keeps the chooks from scratching and pecking to ground level should give your seed a better chance of surviving the girls. I use this method to grow wheat grass for my chooks, it grows up through the gaps - perfect.

Cackleberries - love it, stealing it, had never heard it. Amazing the fuss they make when they lay. :smiley:

What a brilliant idea :bulb:

Thank YouTube for that one, I just borrowed it. :grin: