Queen cells not hatching

Probably secondary to the dearth. Many hives get defensive going into fall. I wouldn’t split them in your location.

Depends on how much empty space they have in the brood boxes. Each frame will hold about 7lb of honey, so if they have an empty frame or two, you could feed them a gallon of 2:1 syrup - I actually use 5:3 sugar to water - it dissolves more easily. If they don’t have that much empty comb, they don’t need the food. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you! I will check the frames

In Utah we have until about November when snow usually comes. Cooler fall weather should begin in a few weeks. We live in a desert climate surrounded by mountains so not too much moisture during the summer months. I am hoping for a more mild winter without too much snow. Is there snow where you are? Thank you! I will give a picture a try next time

It never snows here Jen, there is the odd time I put on jeans and a long sleeved shirt on a Winters day.
I used to live about 700 miles away west of Sydney in the Blue Mountains where water pipes would freeze in my home a couple of times a year and could see snow up on the higher mountains.
But here is beach weather all year round and swarming can happen even in winter a month after the shortest day of the year. As soon as our Wattle trees burst into flower and are yellow with pollen.
Cheers

1 Like