Question from Western Australia

You’ll hear the drones.
And while you’re here…

1 Like

Screened openings shouldn’t be a problem.

1 Like

Gee whizz! What do they sound like? I tried in vain to find a sound clip on google of buzzing honey bee drones but I only found quadcopters. I do hear different sounds and buzzing noises coming from the hives but I really struggle to interpret them.

I did read that book Skeggley, probably time to re-read it and understand it better. Well actually it does say that if you hear drones the hive is about to swarm, maybe within minutes.

Speaking of drones, I now always use full sheets of foundation which I believe will limit the number of drones.

It’s a louder, faster and deeper buzz compared to workers.Drones tend to dart around clumsily as they land, and they take off like rockets when they go out. They’re speed machines.

This is the only video with drones in flight I can find, looks like CGI or a blend of footage.

Thanks mate. I guess once I hear them then I know.

I thought that drones don’t wonder outside the hive except when they leave for good to mate.

Brilliant footage too.

1 Like

Guess it depends on whether they get lucky while they’re out and about :joy:

In spring and summer while their numbers are high I see them coming and going regularly, they get up later than the workers though. They just eat sleep and …

2 Likes

Yep, was going to say just like me but that would be unfair on the drones.

I have to admit I never saw a drone on the landing board. I must pay more attention, or stand closer. Thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it.

Just realising how much stuff I was missing by going solo and not interacting with other beekeepers.

3 Likes

Could also say young, dumb and full of ___ like we all were in our teenage years lol.

You have to remember that drones only have half of the chromosomes (16?) that workers and queens do due to coming from an unfertilised egg so the poor guys could be lacking a little in mental capacity compared to the others.

I never intentionally kill drones because I feel like we’re on the same team haha. Don’t be scared to pick them up either they can’t sting you. If you look at their heads closely I reckon they look like little fighter pilot helmets.

2 Likes

It does limit drone production to some extent but when colony thinks they need them they rebuild comb. Usually at the bottom of frames. By the way, it is another way to tell that colony goes into swarm mode - big increase of drone cells in hive. You may not need to wait till you may hear them.

1 Like

An increase in drones would be more of a general sign that it is swarming season, whereas an occupied or sealed queen cup would indicate the hive is making preparations to swarm.

Yes, I guess I needed to add “above usual seasonal”…

Occupied and sealed swarm cells is a sign of “this train has gone” and Mr Taranov is you friend now. There is no way out from this stage without loosing something.

Still like me Stevo but I digress :crazy_face:

Thanks for your posts, very interesting Steve.

How long is a piece of string? Normal number of drones is something I’m still trying to gauge ABB.

I notice a fair bit of fluctuation in their numbers but what is “usual”? If I see 2 drones on one inspection then 20 on the next that is a massive 10x increase. Is 5% of the population a reason for concern? 50%?

Last inspection before winter I noticed an increase of drones. I didn’t check all the frames but saw maybe a 100 drones. Didn’t think much of it.

Don’t get carried away with drones count too much :slight_smile: Colony increase drone production before swarming, but this is not a primary indicator. On its own it does not mean much.
Also I was talking more about area of capped drone brood. Counting multiple moving organisms is ungrateful exercise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi mate, if you’ve spent a bit of time sitting down watching your bees I reckon you have already seen and heard drones flying but haven’t made the connection.
Like the others say don’t get hung up on this, later this year you’ll have a ‘Yeah right’ moment. My point was it’s an early marker that prompts further investigation from my experience.
Seeing a drone on your clothes at work, picking it off and putting it in your mouth will blow your co workers away believe me. :crazy_face:

Where’s @BooBees and @Perth gone anyway?

1 Like

I remember 10% being a rough number for drone numbers when they reach their peak.

I found one of my old vids from 2016 you can see and hear a few drones coming in.

1 Like

This is awkward. Haven’t seen any drones Stevo. They all look like bees to me.

I couldn’t see a distinct clumsy landing. I’m finding it hard to focus on one and not being distracted by the others and their shadows. By the time I lock my sight on one it’s inside.

To be clear. I can easily tell drones from workers when inspecting frames. It’s just outside the hive I’m finding difficulty.

I’m going to keep on watching that video until I find a drone and get my “yeah right” moment as @skeggley says.

Hey skeggley. We’re fine.
:+1:

1. Not much happening at the hives
  2. Forum gone wierdly quiet
  3. Where’s @JeffH? He was very helpful to us, and we miss his encylopaedic knowledge dearly.

One lands just as the video hits 1-2 seconds, here he is:

If you can hear that erratic blow-fly sort of noise over the top of the more uniform hum of the workers thats the drones.

2 Likes

Got him! Thanks Stevo.

I think I managed to find another one that didn’t land in this video clip.

Still it’s quite hard to differentiate when they’re buzzing around is it? I hope with experience I start to spot them on my own.

It’s hard to describe the sound, but the constant buzzzzzzzz is the the workers and the buzz-b-buzz buzz buzz is the drones, you may have to turn it up loud to differentiate. I’ve probably also spent a lot more time observing my bees than most people lol.