Removing the flow hive super for cool climate winter - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Traditional ones, absolutely yes. Flow frames, I have no idea - might be much harder work for them, but they can bore holes in wood, so I wouldn’t risk trying the experiment.

My nitrogen idea did not work… I checked on the honey frames in the container and yes wax moth were making a mess… Now what to do with the frames… I don’t have room in the freezer and they are dripping. I’m thinking of putting one of the frames in an empty box on one of the hives and letting them move the honey however I’m worried about the moth lavae in the hive. It’d be a shame to lose the honey.

Hi @skeggley
I assume wax moth eggs/larvae are present in the hive at all times but are just kept under control by the bees.

Hi @skeggley, I would cut the comb out of the frames, then crush & strain the honey out of the wax. Then I would fit fresh foundation to the frames just before I want to use them again.

Thanks Jeff, I did think of that but was concerned about the lavae getting crushed and strained…
Would the bees move the honey to other frames if I put it in the hive or would it be too risky with the wax moths?

I didn’t realize that it contained larvae. I wouldn’t worry about wax moths. Is it worker of drone larvae? Is it in a hive now?.. The bees will move the honey, especially if you decap it first. Also if you do what you say & put it in an empty super on a hive.

Wax moth caterpillars, not lavae, my bad. I was conscerned about the worms getting crushed and strained. Frames are in a container in the shed.

If it is new wax & doesn’t have much cocoon buildup, you could cut it out piece by piece, removing the wax moth caterpillars as you go.

Hi Jack
When you left your Flow super on last winter, do you remove the queen exclude and were all 6 Flow frames fully capped coming into winter?
Cheers
Chris

Would love to know your thoughts too Peter about leaving Queen excluder on during winter and how full your Flow frames were? I live on Mornington Peninsula and as this is my 1st year with a Flow hive I’m hoping I can leave my Flow frames on over winter

I left the queen excluder on- I would never run a flow super without one- just don’t want to risk the queen laying brood in the flow frames. From memory- going into winter the frames would have only been half full if that. I likely robbed them in Autumn. But here in Adelaide the bees seem to be able to get by over winter without needing large honey stores going into winter- as they are able to forage throughout the colder months. I was surprised that the supers started to fill with honey about one month before spring started- and I was able to make my first harvest very early in spring.

I have noticed that all my hives come out of winter with large honey stores in the brood boxes- they never seem to run low over winter. I don’t feed in winter either.

Hi Chris,
Yes I left the queen excluder on, don’t really want to have to deal with the queen laying in the flow frames. I left either three or four fully capped frames from memory. This was just enough to get them through the winter. As with everything, this year will be completely different as the winter two Easton’s ago required lots of feeding.

Thanks guys! Did any of you drill holes in the Flow roof for ventilation and prevent mould in winter?

I didn’t- but this year I will. The flow supers did become quite moist over winter. I think I might make moisture quilt boxes too. Seems like a good idea to me

I did. Made huge difference. I think if you search the forum you will find this has been discussed.

Hiya Chris, my Flow roof lives in the shed now, right next to the Flow screened bottom board. I have an insulated migratory lid on now so no need to drill irreversible holes into the Flow lid. The Flow lid fits over the migratory top which would keep it asthetically pleasing if required.

1 Like

Thanks all for feedback
Would love to see a photo of your setup Skeggley if that is at all possible?
Cheers

I am new to beekeeping but my understanding that l got from youtube and books is that you
Keep the super on over winter so the bees have
Something to eat. Is this correct or not

Hiya Christopher welcome to the forum.
It’s all about stores really, if the colony can forage in winter and there are stores in the brood box removing the super is fine. It leaves the bees less room to keep warm. Keeping an eye on the hive weight is a good indicator of available stores.
I’ve removed the supers here in the West wintertime and they’ve been fine, if it does get a bit light store wise I could always feed but generally we have flowers out and fine days so I’ve not had to yet.
Do the other bee keepers in your area leave their supers on wintertime?

1 Like

Not sure will have to check.