When to reuse drawn comb frames and frames with honey

You can put it on the bottom or on the top - your choice. If you are worried about the weight of lifting full boxes, I would put it on top, even if you are going to use it for brood. A medium will be much lighter to lift during inspections. If the deep is on the bottom, you will only need to lift it a couple of times per year to clean off the bottom board. If it is the second box up, you will need to lift it several times per month, which I think you wanted to avoid. :slight_smile:

When all existing boxes have all frames with fully drawn comb and 80% full of brood or food, plus every frame is covered with bees, you can add another box - Flow super or whatever.

If it was SHB and they are slimed or fermenting, render or discard them. The bees wonā€™t like them. If it was just wax moth and no slime, plus you froze them for 48 hours, you could reuse them.

1 Like

Thanks Gerald and Dawn. I did freeze the frames and this was the new comb in the box I added. It is nice color. The original box with the bugs got rid of after I froze. OK . I am trying to see if I can lure bees into a box I borrowed to start another hive. No one really wants to share their bees and I enjoyed the cut out but canā€™t do it alone and could not find a beekeeper to help with the second hive I heard about. So I am going to put it out on the farm and wait see. Trying what a friend said geranium and lemon grass oil? Have to research this more but I have 2 flow supers and I would love a second hive. Just call mee bee hunter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very good getting ready but not there yet will keep my eyes on them as Spring erupts into summer.

Got robbed out last fall during dearth . New packages this April, used old drawn out frames with great results, fed the hell out of them w/pollen patty. week 4- capped honey ,brood, larvae, new bees emerging. Great way to start a new hive, less effort on the new bees, still cool here, 47. Go for it.

2 Likes

Wow, somehow I missed this when you first posted it @Cowgirl!! Great stuff.

I posted about basically the same right after installing my two nucs 4/29. I had a lot of decent comb & some stores leftover from my die-out too, but I extracted four frames of lovely honey that was in seriously wavy comb - a two-fer! Each nuc got three frames of comb, some of which had nectar, honey and pollen (previously frozen), and the flow was good so I didnā€™t feed right away.

At inspection on 5/4 I added a medium second brood box to one hive that was bursting with bees, plus a quart baggie of 1:1 - bad weather ahead and only a little comb on those medium frames from last year. Gave the other hive the same feed but no new box yet as they seemed slower - two outer frames of rubber banded comb still not fully drawn/repaired/cleaned out & populated yet. Entrances still reduced due to chilly nighttime temps here for awhile.

And how are things going at this stage, @Cowgirl and the rest of our second year beeks?!

1 Like

HiĢ€ Will,
Yes ! Introducing honeybees to a hive using drawn comb is sure another story. On April
15th I picked up four Nucā€™s of bees from my supplier. Iā€™d lost three extremely large strong colonies last Autumn to varroa mites so had an amazing amount of totally drawn comb to use.

I set up the four with all that honeycomb ā€¦ I guess it had been way too many years since I raised bees back in the 1950ā€™s n 60ā€™s. Old men n time makes the details rather fuzzy until it happens. They are really expanding fast ! I really wasnā€™t prepared thot wise how quickly they are filling all that drawn comb but I shouldnā€™t be surprised. Over half or maybe more was just producing wax n making honeycomb in all those frame.

As of several days ago Iā€™ve added the first honey super above the Q.E. Iā€™ve not be fudging either. Each hive has been nicely grown to near or over 80% when I added each additional super. My 2017 season even with colder n much wetter conditions has been over powered by my colonies need to survive n forageā€¦

Ta Ta,
Gerald

1 Like