When to split my first hive

Oh, and I just realized that my photo didn’t unload from my phone. So this is what I was referring to. I found this in the old hive, and transferred this frame to the new hive split, in hopes that it would lead to a re-queening, since neither hive seems to have a queen.

There are some newly discovered uncapped queen cells in the original hive, so I guess I’ll wait another week to see if they get capped before inserting a new queen into the mix. (Neither hive has any eggs or pupa yet)

I did pick up a new nuc, and moved a fresh frame of brood cells into the old and into new hive since all of the original brood has been exhausted. I’m hoping that helps, but I’m a newbie and not really sure.

Were you able to see if they’re charged, ie containing a larva in a bit of milky white royal jelly?

The queen cell shown in this pic looks okay…did you shake all the bees off this frame or was it like that in the hive, as in no bees on it?

So if I understand, you now have three weak colonies -

1 original containing some uncapped QCs , contents unknown (to me anyway) plus 1 frame of brood from the nuc

1 split from the original containing the frame with the capped QC shown above plus 1frame of brood from the nuc

1 nuc minus 2 frames of brood - with or without the queen?

You’ll need to keep a careful eye on these three weak colonies, maybe feed them* and possibly change course by combining them or buying queens if you don’t see progress towards queen-rightness. The big questions to answer are:

1. Does the nuc brood include eggs and very young larvae to enable a queen to be made?

2. Are there enough workers in each colony to care for young brood AND deal with pests, cleanup & foraging?

3. Were the uncapped queen cells dry or charged?

4. Where is the nuc queen now?

*5. How’s the nectar flow in your region now, and how soon is dearth expected?

Hope that helps, Joe - let us know how things go!

Good morning Eva. There were some bees in the queen cell frame when I transferred it to the new hive.

As far as the uncapped queen cells in the original hive, They are a little bit smaller than that capped one, and there was nothing in them. Which leads me to believe they are still being developed. I feel like it’s now a race against time since there were no brood cells left ( except the frame I put in yesterday).

Guess no matter what happens, you’ll have had an action-packed crash course in beekeeping :sweat_smile:

Eva,
I read your reply on my cell phone and didn’t see your entire message. Your outline is accurate and thanks for that summary. To answer some of your questions, there is a marked queen from the nuc. She was moved into a brood box with a frame of brood, two frames loaded with honey, and some empty frames. Right or wrong, I’m counting on her to sort things out and build out that brood box while I wait to see what happens with the other two hives.

We are just getting into summer up here in the mountains of North Carolina, with lots of wildflowers waiting to bloom. So I don’t think nectar will be an issue.

There has been so much disruption in the other two hives that I’m planning to let everything settle down for 10 days to 2 weeks and see if they both requeen themselves, and to watch the activity at the entrance. So far I haven’t seen any decrease in activity from the first hive. Lots of activity and the Flow honey super continues to get filled. It’s about 80-90% full of capped honey. I’m guessing that the bees have been getting nectar from the Black Locust trees and wild rhododendrons.

I’m also seeing more activity in the second hive split, presumably since the hatched brood are now foraging? So again, as long as the activity looks positive, I think I should leave all three hives alone and then reinspect them 10-14 days from now. If the first hive still doesn’t have a queen or capped queen cells, then I guess I need to decide if I should buy a queen, or transfer the recently purchased queen from the nuc into that hive. If I have to transfer her, then I plan to cage her up and see how that hive reacts to her, before releasing her into that original hive.

On a side note, it’s puzzling to me how I got here and how it got so complicated, so quickly. I only just transferred the original nuc into my first brood box in early April. We had light snow that day, and the first wildflowers were just barely starting to bloom. I was surprised at how quickly the bees filled out the other five empty, foundationless frames. It was in a matter of 3-4 weeks. Had I been more experienced, perhaps I would have recognized the need to add a second story brood box or honey super, but I didn’t. It wasn’t long after that when I saw bees bearding at the entrance. This being my first year with considerable inexperience, I can’t imagine managing 5, 10, or 30 hives!

This forum has been invaluable to me. I’ve tried reaching out to some local beekeepers but was really turned off by their advice. On of them was calling me a “newbie” in every other sentence, and both of them kept throwing more and more pitfalls at me, rather than what I hoped was a path forward.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

1 Like

I’m glad to help, Joe :+1:

Wow!! Very nice :star_struck: sounds like it’s time to harvest a few of those frames! (You don’t have to wait for them to all be full & capped, in case you were wondering)

Buying a mated queen is a safe bet, but I wouldn’t take just the queen away from an established colony. You’d risk a lot for little gain. Aside from buying I would opt either for combining the two using a sheet or two of newspaper between boxes (which allows workers to get familiar with one another’s scent as they chew through, thus reducing or eliminating fighting), or donating a frame from the strongest colony of “Brood In All Stages” (or BIAS as we call it here on the forum) to the first hive.

I’m sorry to hear that the locals in your area are being snobby :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Sadly this is far from the first time I’ve heard that - and I’ve dealt with it too. A big part is because of the common misconceptions about the Flow hive system, but that doesn’t explain all of it because there’s a very insular & skeptical vibe I get from the bee club I joined and I haven’t yet mentioned Flow as a newcomer. Reading the room during several online meetings and still feeling like a stranger, I decided to bide my time. I’m hoping this changes when there’s a live event.

Anyway, I wouldn’t be half the beek I am today without this forum :heart_eyes:

1 Like