Winter bee loss

My best guess is that these foragers came back & were hanging out on the porch while it was sunny, then it got too cold so they clustered with each other instead of going in. With only 30 or so they wouldn’t be able to keep warm, so they went into a torpor.

Another explanation could be that they are affected by pesticides. Seems early in the season for that but confusion, disorientation & death are symptoms.

That’s odd, I’ve never known of a bee to do that without a hive to defend. :woman_shrugging:
Anyway, if you find any more torpid bees it might be simpler and safer for your dogs if you scoop them up (the bees, not the dogs :laughing:) and pop them under the lid!

1 Like

Thank you Eva,
Pesticides could be possible. I live outside of the suburbs semi-rural area if that’s a thing.

Question, I do see them bringing in pollen, should I also be feeding them sugar water 2 sugar-1 water or 1 sugar–2 water at this time of the year mixture.

If the two splits are recent, then yes you may want to feed 1:1 sugar water - IF the weather is making it difficult for them to get out and forage. I’m a little bit south of you and it has been a cold spring here, but there is a lot in bloom and I’m seeing pollen coming in too. Generally speaking if pollen is available, so is nectar.

If the two splits are from last year and are now filling at least one deep, and have queens laying then you don’t need to feed. Instead you need to be monitoring and taking action to prevent swarming, and be ready to super very soon.

I am seeing them bringing pollen in. To be honest I never feed them but since spring has been cold I thought it may be a good idea.

I are ready to split the hives if needed. It been so cold at night I still have my hives wrapped. I think this week the evening temperature will stay in the upper 40. So may unwrap this week.

Thanks for the guidance.

Michael Smart,

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)